Shorter than Usual Pt.2

It was a warm night, and the air outside was still. The Phantomhive mansion just as still beside the tall butler making his way through the halls to the Master bedroom where a soft voice had ordered him to go. Even if it hadn't been an order, and more of a request, he would have gone. Something had changed since Ciel shrunk, since the boy relied on him more than he had even before this happened. Sebastian found himself growing fond of the boy, wanting to genuinely care for him because he wanted to, not because of a contract.

Approaching the large wooden door, Sebastian raised his hand to knock but before his knuckles could even touch the same soft voice told him to enter. So he did. He easily guessed that his footsteps were heard by the sensitive ears within.

"My Lord?" he called questioningly, stepping into the room with the candelabra held in one hand. The gentle light cast shadows across the room and illuminated it just enough that he could see the tiny form of the young Earl on the plush white pillow. "Are you struggling to fall asleep?"

"Aren't I always?" Ciel muttered groggily, his knees tucked close to his chest and his arms wrapped tightly around them. He couldn't bring himself to look up at the butler again. It was getting better, but there were still moments where he wouldn't look at him.

"Moreso since this little accident, yes," Sebastian responded smoothly, walking forward and placing the candelabra down on the nightstand. "You called me, what can I do for you?"

Ciel was silent for a few moments, his eyes slowly lifting to meet the demon's. The one blue and one contracted held such a strange new firmness in them. His lips then uttered a few words that were chilling. "You can take my soul early. That's what you can do."

His crimson eyes widening, Sebastian felt if things were normal, he would jump at the chance. But things were anywhere from normal right now. "That...would be against our contract, my Lord. Where is this coming from?"

"You've yet to find a cure. I've destroyed my reputation and my relationship with Elizabeth. Revenge wouldn't be possible at this insignificant size. There is no reason for our contract to stand any longer. I'm surprised you even questioned it." 

While it was his voice, it didn't sound like him, not at all. Sebastian knelt on one knee beside the bed, placing a gloved hand over his chest. "Young Master, I will find a cure. And we will complete your revenge. Besides, your soul at this moment wouldn't make more than a mouthful. Hardly a satisfying meal."

Ciel's hands balled tightly around the fabric of the pillowcase underneath him. His blue-grey locks shifted, hiding his face. "You don't care," he seethed in a voice that would be inaudible to any regular being. "You don't care about me, a-about my revenge, any of it."

Shocked at the statement, Sebastian lowered his hands to rest on his knee. Before he could again question him, Ciel spoke again. "You're just pretending. It has to be that, you...cultivating my soul."

With a soft 'tsk', Sebastian used one finger to force Ciel to meet his gaze. His thin brows were furrowed, his lips curled into a gentle frown. And the tiny face that gazed up at him was teary-eyed and exhausted. "I am not allowed to lie to you," he murmured in a low whisper. "Not even with my actions. Do not doubt the sincerity of them."

Ciel looked like he didn't know how to respond and instead began blinking rapidly as if to try and suppress the water flowing from his eyes. "H-How am I supposed to believe anything that you say, demon?"

If it had been anyone else, Sebastian would've been growing quite irritated. If it was anyone else, yes, it would all have been a simple lie to make them feel at home, feel comfortable. He couldn't imagine acting this way and meaning anything to anyone else. "My goodness...you're going to make your eyes all red and puffy again," he crooned, using a gloved thumb to delicately brush the tears away from Ciel's cheeks.