Chapter 13

Habeebah has never felt this much uneasiness before, she is worried and at the same time hesitant. Never in her life has she imagined her having issues with her husband not to talk of issuing for a divorce, this is just too much for her to bear. The court session is tomorrow and if she's to be honest, she isn't prepared for what's to come. Wanting to have a moment of solace to herself without any disturbance, she decided to lock herself up in her room. She has been in her room since they returned from Hauwa's wedding ceremony after her conversation with Mummy (Mahmoud's mother) which didn't end so well. Reminiscing back to the conversation they had earlier on, she understood very well what Mummy was drifting at. As a mother she will always want the betterment of her child.

"Good evening Mummy, how are you doing? It's been a while." Habeebah said walking over to sit with her.

"I am fine my dear, how are you doing? My apologies for not coming to check up on you after you were discharged from the hospital." Jameelah said shamefully.

"No worries Mummy, I'm fine now." Habeebah replied smiling.

"Hajiya Jameelah it's nice to see you again, how have you been?" Umma asked stretching out her hands for a hug.

"I am very well thank you my dear, kwana da yawa (it's been a while)." Jameelah replied returning the gesture.

"Yes my dear, how's your family?" Umma asked not letting go of her hands.

"Alhamdulillah (we thank Allah) we are fine." Jameelah replied gleefully.

"That's nice to hear, hope you haven't stayed long?" Umma asked looking at the girls.

"No we haven't stayed long, it's not up to 15 minutes." Firdaus replied.

After much exchange of pleasantries, Umma and Humairah left for their respective rooms to go freshen up leaving Habeebah behind with her in-laws.

"To what do I owe this visit? I can see you came along with my sisters too." She asked looking their way for the first time since she walked into the sitting room, not that she was oblivious of the fact that they were seated there in the first place but she knows how emotional they can be when they start a conversation and that saga she wasn't ready for.

"I have come to discuss something important with you but I can see you just came back from an event which means you must be exhausted. I would suggest you rest, we can talk another time." Jameelah answered to which her daughters nodded in agreement.

"It's no problem Mummy, I'll just change into something casual and come back down. In the meantime, I'll tell the Hussainah to bring some refreshments." Habeebah said standing up.

"There's no need for that aunt, Hussainah brought some earlier before you came." Firdaus replied pointing to the tray.

"Okay then I'll join you shortly." Habeebah verballed making her way to the stairs.

"Dear?" Jameelah called out making her stop. "I would really appreciate it if you can bring your Mom and sister along, they might have one or two things to say about what we are going to discuss." She said politely.

"Okay ma." She replied affirmatively.

Few minutes later, they are all seated in awkward silence, each ruminating on different thoughts. Even though she knows what they are here to talk about, it still amazes her that they came all the way from home including Khadija who came all the way from Abuja to plead on Mahmoud's behalf.

"I am very sure you know why we are here my dear," Jameelah broke the silence. "I know Mahmoud has wronged you but please find it in your heart to forgive and amend things with him. Divorce is a drastic decision to take." She pleaded.