Chapter 54

FIXED AND IN PLACE

“We have decided the wedding will be a month after Farouk’s.” Habeebah relayed to her family at dinner, a few evenings after her date with Bukar. It happened that the date was the perfect opportunity to pick a date, one they were both content and comfortable with. 20th November was a memorable choice. As she thought over their conversation, she couldn’t help but smile. Everything was working out as expected.

FLASHBACK
“I was thinking early next year, somewhere around January or February.” Bukar aired his thoughts.

“Next year!? She shrieked. “Why next year? Next year is in like two and a half months, what would you be doing in that time space?” She questioned accusingly.

“Nothing actually, I just feel you would need more time.” He shrugged out an answer.

“More time for what exactly?” She pushed again, fully aware of the answer to her question. Everyone seems to feel like they know her and what she wants. Sometimes they do get it right but often, they turn out wrong. Now, his response will be she needs time to take it all in. As if when she agreed to be with him, she didn’t foresee a marriage.

“To settle into all of it.” He replied, staring at her. Habeebah rolled her eyes, murmuring an ‘I knew it’. “There’s this tone to your voice and, it really doesn’t sit well with me. What are you hinting at?”

She sighed, before replying. “When I agreed to be with you, I definitely did foresee a marriage. And now, it is here in our faces. I know everyone tries to do what they think is best for me which I deeply appreciate but, I am not fragile like you all see me to be.”

“You are,” Bukar interposed. “But go on.”

She shot him a glare, proceeding to finish her statement. “I don’t need more time babe, it’s like me wanting affirmations all over again which I have already gotten one too many times. I am content with anytime picked, be it next week. We are a done deal, we are sealed Bashir. Everyone anticipates our wedding, don’t you think we are dragging it too far?”

“We?” He questioned. “You have been the one doing that Habeebah, the drags have always been your doings.” Bukar added, poking her arm. “Don’t even try to defend yourself,” He cut her off, as she prepared a comeback. “You know I am right. Left for me, if you had agreed to marry me on the same day I proposed to you, I wouldn’t blink an eye before making it happen. But you fled off to Dubai, making me look like irin mara hankalin nan (One with no sense), like I wasted my time even talking to you. Still, I said nothing. Ever since then, it’s been one thing to another. Of which recently, you decided not to speak to me because I didn’t tell you I was a prince. Hmmm! Nothing Bukar hasn’t seen from Habeebah.” He rambled. There was a lot more to say but, he will stop at that.

Habeebah didn’t know when exploded into a laughter, what has this man been thinking? “You really had a lot to say to me and you felt the best thing to do was to keep it stored inside your head right?” She asked giggling. “Have I been that hard?”

“Oh I see you want a lecture.” He corked a brow, challengingly.

“Sorry sir, don’t bother.” She coyly replied. “Bukar, that was then. I had a lot of healing and growing up to do, all of which weren’t my fault. Withal, it wouldn’t be nice of me to blame my troubles on all that happened because I was sane at some point. I apologize for all you had to go through because of me, all of it. I don’t need more time, believe me when I say so.” She pleaded, reaching out for his hand.

“Fine, which date seats well with you?” He asked, smirking.

“A month from now will be fine, somewhere around 20th of next month.” She thoughtfully answered.