Chapter 40

Dubai, UAE.

People often refer to Dubai as the Hong Kong of the Gulf, but it is really more like Vegas. Going to Dubai represents a different way of life, because there is so much to discover in Dubai.

Habeebah shifted the curtains apart, hiding behind them the beautiful morning sun of the UAE. The city was awake as people had begun embarking on their daily activities. School children waiting for the school bus, civil servants rushing to work, store owners opened for the day’s market and motorists, speeding & honking loudly to avoid traffic.

Habeebah inhaled contentedly, more at peace with her new environment. She looked more radiant from less worry and much needed rest. She has distance her mind from all that had occurred and is still happening with great effort yet, she also knows that, one cannot run away from their problems for too long.  It has been a week since they arrived here and how she was able to do so under so much pressure from everyone not wanting her to leave, still baffles her. She could still picture everyone’s expression when she broke the news.

“Dubai!?” Umma shouted. She was already ransacking her brain on why Habeebah has suddenly decided to go there.

“But why?” Baba asked, flummoxed. “Why did you decide all of a sudden to want to go there?” Farouk had returned earlier from work so, he was also present at dinner. Suhaib kept mute. In fact, he was totally blank and neutral. The news wasn’t new to him because, he was the first to hear it. It was what she earlier on needed his help about.

“I promised the kids already that I would treat them to a nice holiday. I just didn’t know where to take them not until now that I decided that Dubai, was the right place.” She replied. She made sure that her demeanour was neutral as possible because knowing the type of mother she has, she knew Umma wouldn’t miss a chance to read her. And, that was what she wanted. To be unreadable.

“I really don’t know what to say,” Farouk said, confused. “It is a little bit strange. I mean to say why not weeks ago? Schools would be due for resumption soon and now, you want to fly them out?”  

“Exactly!” Umma inputted. “Why all of a sudden, out of the blooms, you want to travel Habeebah? Are you sure it is all for the kids or something else?” She questioned, getting angered.

“They still have three weeks before resumption, we could make better out of the time.” She curtly answered Farouk. “And Umma,” She turned to her mother. “If I am not going because of the kids, then what am I going for?”

“That is what you should be telling me Miss.” She quickly replied, harshly. “You never mentioned it to any of us that you had that in mind for the past one and a half month you have been on your leave and now, you want me to believe that nothing is making you decide this unexpectedly?”

“Whatever time I am telling you Umma, shouldn’t change the fact that it is your grandchildren we are talking about here. And, I think I already explained why I didn’t let anyone know about it.” Habeebah countered, also on edge.

“You give me baseless explanations and you want me to believe it?” Umma let out a sour laugh. “Do I look like a child to you?”

“Umma I don’t think we should be arguing on a small matter such as this.” She nonchalantly said.

“Small matter? To you it may look so. But need I remind you that we are still your parents and we have the right to know whatever goes on with you!”

“Fatima!” Baba called her name because the argument was getting out of control.

“I am an adult for God’s sake Umma, I have every right to decide what I think is in my best interest! I am also in the position to decide if I want you to be included or not!” Habeebah replied, complacently.