Chapter 31

“It’s been two weeks now, two whole weeks and still we haven’t heard a word from him. I am starting to get worried.” Habeebah complained, pacing around her desk.

“It is unlike him to just leave like that.” Zahraddeen said, standing by the door. “And that too, without a word.”

“You all should relax, Bukar is no child. He is an adult. The reason he is absent must be very important otherwise, he wouldn’t just disappear like that.” Ilhaam contributed, not lifting her head from what she was doing.

“Then why is his line not reachable? See it’s switched off again.” She grumbled tossing it on the table. “Even though it was something important, he should have called to tell us that he wouldn’t be around for a while instead of leaving without saying anything.”

“Isn’t there any other number of his we could try?” Adam asked. They were all in Habeebah’s office, pondering about Bukar’s sudden whereabout.

“Ilhaam should know about that. She has been working here before we did, she should know if there’s any we could reach him through.” Zahraddeen replied.

“I’m sorry but, I have no answer to that question. I am not his secretary neither am I his personal assistant. The only number I have of Bukar is the one we have been trying which isn’t reachable.” Ilhaam said, shaking her head.

“Asking his secretary, wouldn’t look polite.” Adam stood up, copying Habeebah’s movement. “We would be prodding if we do that.”

“He is closer to Lawyer Imran than any of us, we should probably ask him. He would definitely know about his location, what do you say?” Zahraddeen suggested.

“It’s a good idea,” Ilhaam replied. “You should ask him.”

“Hey guys!” Helen greeted anxiously, peeking her head through the door. “Sorry to interrupt your conversation, It’s quite urgent. Adam, Zahraddeen, your presence is needed immediately. The case keeps getting complicated and, I am starting to lose it.” She sounded frustrated.

“Sorry Habeebah, we have to go. I will get in touch with him before he leaves.” Zahraddeen gave a nod. “Adam, shall we?”

“See you guys later.”

“My apologies please.” Helen waved at them smiling.

“It’s no problem Helen.” Ilhaam assured, with a smile of her own. 

“It surprises me that you know nothing about your boss.” Habeebah said slouching into her sit.

“Habeebah my dear, it would interest you to know that Bukar is a quiet man. He does his dealings without anyone knowing. I haven’t met any member of his family before; not his wife, kids or even a friend. I should be asking you because I see you both are quite close and since you have met his children before, you might have one of theirs.”

“No, I don’t. But, what you just said is quite strange. I can understand that you haven’t met his kids before since they school abroad and his wife__” Bukar has never spoken about his wife before. She could remember the time she asked was on their way to the airport to pick the kids and all she got, was a curt answer and a change in demeanour. “And you know none of his friends? Like no one has come here to ask for him before?”

“Like I said before, I know nothing about his dealings. I tell you Habeebah, nothing. Zahraddeen would surely comb out something from Imran.”

“I pray he does.” Habeebah mumbled, grabbing her things.

“You seem too elated to hearing from him Habeebah.” Ilhaam curiously said, her lips twitched up in a smirk.

“I don’t know why you are wearing that look on your face but, yes I am anticipating to hearing from him. It’s not everyday someone just gets up and decides to disappear to God knows where without as small as a word. And if we still don’t get anything you useful from Imran, trust me when I say I am informing the police.” She replied, slinging her bag on her shoulder.