Chapter 58

Comprehension

There are a lot of bedrocks to a relationship yet, the most superior of them all, is being able to understand each other before the mouth gets to even speak them. A mental grasp between two individuals is of significant worth because, it reveals a volume about their person thereby, making communication easier and pleasant. This virtue is something Habeebah and Bukar greatly share. With the kids not around and the wedding preparations in full, Habeebah's focus and attention has been divided and somewhat trouble. Bukar needed no one to tell him, for her distant responses on phone calls and her constant self-assurance of being fine and okay, was a giveaway itself. So today, he took it upon himself to treat her to a surprise date for, anything that bothers his babe, troubles him as well. He decided against informing her, after all, it was a surprise. Hence why at exactly 02:30pm, he pulled up at the house.

Upon entering the home, he was met with a living room full of scattered magazines and piles of clothing. Three women positioned their selves apart around the beautiful mess intensely flipping open pages and checking out the vestments, Umma sat comfortably on one of the settees; with another load of gazettes and wearables around her and Humairah, was busy scooping down food amidst the whole rendezvous. What a sister-in-law he had!

"Assalamu-alaikum (Peace be onto you all)." Bukar paid greetings, making himself known.

"Wa alaikumus-salaam (Peace be onto you as well)." They all replied, raising their gazes away from their primary focus to acknowledge who it was.

"I trust I meet you all in good faith?" Bukar asked with a smile, moving further into the room.

"Ahh Bukar! It is you." Umma said, a smile gracing her lips as well. "Welcome my dear, what a surprise visit! We had no idea you were coming, how are you my child?"

"I am doing fine Umma and yes, it is intended to be a surprise. I want to take your daughter out of the house, I think she needs a breather." He replied beaming. "I hope you are fine as well?"

"I am well my dear, just the normal leg cramps; you know how it is with us oldies." Umma laughed. "But this" She waved her hands around, indicating the room. "Keeps me busy."

"That's good to know."

"Hi Bukar," Humairah chuckled. "I would have offered you a seat but, we created a bungle of mess here. Habeebah is in the study going through some paperwork and, you are right about her needing a breather. She hasn't been herself since the kids left, she is trying to channel her worries to something else, you know how she is now." She added, sighing.

"I know," He gave a curt nod. "I will go check up on her, please do carry on." Bukar clapped both hands in respect, as he turned around to the study.

Habeebah picked up a new habit of recent, which were hissing and groaning. For no just cause, she would hiss at herself or her thoughts. She would groan when she isn't doing the former, taking turn to intermittently fleck her "newfound hobby." This was the eleventh paper she was scrunching into a ball and tossing into the dustbin, she held onto her temple as she groaned in discomfort, banging her hand on the desk. She has been trying to write a proposal to the State government for her NGO and each write-up comes out worse than the last, which has been going on for an hour plus now. After venting her frustration, she leaned into the recliner, shutting her eyes tightly and exhaling through her mouth.

"Coming home to a much cheerier version of you is what I am used to, I can't remember the last time I saw you this way." Bukar said, leaning by the door frame. His entrance was not a quiet one but since she was so buried in her getaway, she didn't know he was even standing there.