Chapter 49

"Do what you have to."

And just as if he was awaiting an affirmation to forge on, Bukar wasted no time in putting things into action.

The next morning after their date, he was quick to call the palace. The entire palace lit up with the news, it spread around like wildfire; Bashir was set to remarry. Bukar Ali Mamman, his father and the Lamido of their state, his mother Nana and his siblings were elated to hear the beautiful news.

When he spoke with his family members, Nana had expressed her utmost delight. "I am so happy Bashir," She giggled. "I can't wait to see my daughter."

His father had said, "I have no words to precise how I feel about this, I am proud of you Bashir. I miss having you around, when will I get to see you?"

"Soon Babana." Bashir replied. He has missed him too. Although they both weren't the types to play and chatter around because of their composed and collected nature but, there was this serene understanding that both men shared. "I plan on going to see her parents this weekend for formal introduction and I'd have loved you to be present but," He relayed. "I know myself that I am asking for the impossible as you literally cannot leave your throne duties to come over here." Bukar added with a laugh.

"Hahaha! You sure know it's demands." Ali replied amusingly. "I wish I was able to though but not to worry, I'll have Kamal represent me. Some of my court members will accompany him too."

"I will tag along with them too!" Nana bellowed from their end.

"No Nana, yours will be afterwards." Bukar said and he could swear she was wearing a scowl.

"Why can't I come with them?" She questioned and indeed, she was wearing one.

"Maryam," Ali began to explain. "We are going to seek the girl's hand in marriage for our son and as tradition demands, I don't think you'd be needed there for now." He added trying to make her understand but, as always she was never one to back down.

"Oh please! I am not having it. I am coming along with them to Yola Bashir and that's final. I agree I'll see Habeebah afterwards but, someone has to take care of other things around the house while you are at it." She said with a tone of finality.

"I will have Kamal around Nana so,  there's absolutely nothing to worry about." Bashir countered, rolling his eyes. She was impossible.

"You know your mother Bashir, she is not going to change her mind. She practically just waved off your words with her hand." Ali laughed, shaking his head at the woman. "I'll see you soon, be safe until then."

"Thanks Babana." Bukar smiled, feeling grateful. Just as he was about to end the call, his father's voice came up again.

"Kamal just walked in, he wants to talk to you." Ali said into the receiver.

"Okay, do hand him the phone." Bukar replied, eager to speak with him. He knew he was done for the second his brother opens his mouth. After few seconds of shuffling from their side and the click of a door being shut, his brother's breathing came to life. "Yaya na (My big brother)." He sang smirking.

"You are the worst brother ever, you know so right?" Kamal asked, arching a brow.

"I really don't think you should say things like that." Bukar played back, feigning hurt. Yet, he was in the wrong though. Having not called his siblings in a very long while nor their kids, like who does that?

"Oh I will say what I want to!" Kamal hissed. "You haven't bothered call in ages, neither did you deem it fit to send at the slightest a text Bash and you expect to hear pleasant words spiraling out from me?" He asked, seething.