Chapter 48

Feelings.

Feelings are generalized bodily consciousness or sensation which are meant to be felt, be it any  kind.

Happiness, anxiety, sorrow, anxiousness, hurt, immense joy, you name it. Whichever that it is expressed, be it bright or gloomy doesn't make one less of who they are. We never know what sensation will creep up our nerves every second but, we are sure in control of how we hold them together. And in this taut corner, Farouk finds himself.

He was anxious, eager about how his meeting at Siddiqah's would go. He kept pacing back and forth in the living area as he awaited his companies. At this moment, he'd trade any amount for one of Umma's comforting hugs, Habeebah's soothing advices, one of Baba's reassuring nods and even, Humairah's playful jitters even though they could be so annoying. Yet, none of these people where present to grant him that. The whole house was void as it could be except for himself, Fahad and Suhaib. Yes, his companies who were taking forever to get ready more than he the supposed groom.

Baba and Umma were out to visit a family friend, the kids were out to Humairah's, Habeebah to God knows where and he himself, should be on his way out if not for the two grown adults who were busy playing dress up. "Can both of you get down here already!?" He yelled frustrated.

"Chill man," Fahad said, as he descended the stairs. "Why are you in so much heat?"

"Are you really asking me that?" Farouk raised a brow in question. "You both know the drive to her place is far and both of you still took your time playing dress up, something my nieces have grown out of. And where is Suhaib now?" He asked, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Calm down Farouk, I am here." He voiced, alighting the stairs.

"What would happen on the wedding day then?" Farouk questioned exasperated.

"I need to look good. Who knows probably, I might also find my missing rib at her place." Suhaib countered, as they exited the house.

"Don't you even think of it, not Ihsan." Farouk warned, referring to his soon-to-be sister-in-law. Suhaib grumbled incoherently, taking his place at the back.

"Wait, wait! What are you doing?" Fahad asked. "Hell no! There's no way I am letting you drive us in this state, hand me the keys." He said, snatching the keys from Farouk as he nudged him aside, to which he begrudgingly gave with a tired sigh.

"Don't be too hard on yourself, it'll all go fine. We are with you." Suhaib patted him from behind, giving him a tight squeeze on the shoulder in support. Farouk chuckled at the gesture, a sense of relief gracing his form. His brother was unbelievable, one minute annoying and the next acting all grown.

The drive to Siddiqah's was smooth and chattery. Fahad and Suhaib had to engaged him in discussions so as to get his mind of any negative thought he was developing, to calm his tensed up nerves and also compose himself.

The reception they got was like no other, her parents turned out to be so welcoming and lovely and that alone, discarded any wariness he was having. "Good day ma." The trio said in unison.

"Greetings to you too, please do come in." Salma, her mother said ushering them in with wide arms ready to clasp them in a warm embrace. "I trust you all are fine?" She asked, still holding onto Farouk's hands.

"Yes ma, we are fine." He replied, with a shy smile.

"Oh please, call me Ammi." She playfully said, pulling him to sit adjacent to her.

"Hey Farouk, what's up?" Ihsan chirped, giving him a high-five.

"I am cool, you?" He asked, reciprocating her gesture.