Chapter 53

FOUR DAYS!

Today makes it exactly four days since Nana and Sabreen visited; exactly four days since Mahmoud had called; exactly four days she sent the message and, exactly four days she has been anticipating a reply.

The past four days has got her meandering through her thoughts carefully and thankfully, she has been able to settle her mind in a much more comfortable space. She took peace in reasoning with what she was told and found solace in who she loved. Ilhaam wasn't exaggerating when she said Habeebah's ego was fat. Bukar hasn't made a reply to her message and she on her own part, didn't give trying another chance. She will always run to check her phone at any sound of a notification in expectation and when met with what she wasn't expecting, she would toss the device aside.

In her head she was like "I won't call him, I did my part already. If he wants to, he should. If he doesn't, whatever."  Stubborn thoughts that never reached her heart for she was so dying to hear from him. She made great use of her time in helping Umma and Humairah select the outfits (aso-ebi/anko) for Farouk and Siddiqah's wedding.

They had gone to pay the Babagana's a visit during the week, to finalize the wedding preparations and arrangements. They were warmly welcomed by Siddiqah's family and it was indeed an incredible and amazing one for the whole family. Umma and Humairah were busy with a whole lot of preparations and Habeebah made sure she wasn't left out and helped in the little way she could even though, she knew her mom and sister had everything under control.

Habaeebah was busy preparing a list of groceries they needed from the house whilst Umma and Humairah were looking through pictures of some brocade, when Adnan’s voice came bubbling from the hallway. He was laughing heartily as it seemed he was chatting with someone as they approached the living area. Habeebah was about asking Umma if there was anything she wanted added to the list when a familiar voice made her words get stuck in her throat. Bukar’s.

“Mami? Umma?” Adnan called out their names. “Look who’s here.” He added, gesturing to his soon-to-be dad. Habeebah immediately shook it off, intently paying attention to the list in her hands.

“Good afternoon Umma,” Bukar greeted. “I trust I meet you in good faith? How are you doing?”

“Welcome my dear, I am doing fine thank you. How are you doing? How’s home?”  Umma beamed, as he squatted beside her.

“I will go check on Hanan and Aaliyah!” He said. “See you in a bit Uncle.” He gave Bukar a fist bump before scampering up the stairs. Habeebah acknowledged him by inclining her head as he passed.

“I am fine ma,” He replied, taking a glance at Habeebah. Her brows furrowed in anger, her jaw ticked in spleen rage as she gripped tightly onto the pen, scribbling furiously on the paper. She didn’t even seem to regard his view as she went on like he wasn’t present. “How are you doing Humairah?” Bukar asked, throwing a smile at his sister-in-law.

“I am doing fine brother,” She replied cheerfully. “We weren’t expecting you.” She added, glaring at her sister who claimed to be uninterested. Habeebah didn’t really bother much about it when Bukar didn’t respond to her message but seeing him now, seated in their living room riled her up more than anything. 

“Umma we still have to ask Baba and the boys the choice of clothes they’re going with, I think we should retire to his study to complete all of these there.” Humairah gritted aloud, snatching the list from Habeebah. She nudged Habeebah’s knee so hard forcing the woman to return the stoic gaze. Umma got the message and stood up to leave not before telling Bukar to feel at home.

Habeebah rolled her eyes, groaning in frustration into her lap. She so wanted to be anyone where yet, the look Umma gave her spelt ‘Behave yourself’. She maintained her rigid form, crossing her arms beneath her chest. The silence stretched on for a few minutes, none of them wanting to break it. Bukar sighed, moving to sit on the same couch as her.