Chapter 51

One of the attributes Bukar and Habeebah tend to share in common is that, both are headstrong, very stubborn and obstinate. When their minds are fixated on something, nothing can stir or waver them away from it. Another beautiful thing about them is, they are very discreet about their matters; not even a close third-party will perceive the heat between them. Except, if they themselves want one to be involved in the whole hubbub.

It has been a week since the introduction and neither one has called the other, both of them still reeling from their heat. Habeebah told no one what happened, she was really adamant on wanting to keep their fights to themselves. Bukar on the other hand, was the total opposite of her decision. Although both of them had played cool till the entire ceremony was over, the man was spleen and Habeebah knew so. She has never seen him that way before and she could certainly say that, her rage was nothing compared to his. He didn’t even spare her a glance when they were leaving; he said his goodbyes to everyone but her.

On their way home, Kabir and Kamal could feel the tension in the air. All efforts to make him spill what the issue was proved abortive, he didn’t look up from his phone as he kept his mind occupied with work. When they got home; he dashed off to his room, leaving Sabreen and Umma’s questions and happy faces hanging in the air.

Stunned, Umma turned to both men. “What happened to him? Did something go wrong?” Kamal shrugged in response, while Kabir went on to relay how their day went. Which was from all he knew, went as expected.

“But, if everything went fine as you said, what’s upsetting Bash?” Sabreen asked, confused as Nana.

“We all should give him time, he’ll definitely come around.” Kamal said, pulling off the turban on his head. “I need to go freshen up so, I have to call Babana to inform him about everything.”

“I didn’t expect the day to turn sour the way it did,” Kabir mumbled, scrunching his nose in distaste. “Gosh! Bukar can be so annoying, I feel like punching his guts so hard.” He added, moving towards Nana to give her a hug. “I’ll stop by tomorrow to see you all, bye for now.”

“Thank you son, I can’t express how glad I am that my boy found a brother like yourself. For standing by him, walking life with him, talking it with him, I can’t thank you enough. I really do appreciate.” Nana said, patting his shoulder in adoration.

“I am honoured Nana,” Kabir beamed a reply. “He has also done more than I can’t start saying, I am glad we are in tune with each other.” 

“Go well dear, my regards to my daughter and the kids.” Nana sent her regards, to which Kabir gave a resounding nod to. He also paid greetings to Kamal and Sabreen before departing for his abode. Kamal left immediately after him to do his business leaving the ladies behind.

“What must have happened to him?” Nana asked rhetorically. “He was so excited before he left and now? I don’t know what is wrong with Bashir honestly, he seems to be going on and off the radar lately.” She complained, sighing.

“I trust he is going to be fine Nana, he’ll come around.” Sabreen said, trying to lessen the woman’s worries. She had an inkling idea on what might have put him in a bad mood but, kept mum on it for now. She was definitely going to grill Bash for an answer.

Bukar dived into work as soon as he was settled in, all in attempt to get his mind off what was bothering him. Ayman and Ashraf had called earlier to know how it all went and he fed their ears with what was important, omitting the rancid part of the feed. Kabir sent him a long epistle as a text which he read but didn’t respond to, the man gave him the piece of his mind; telling him to get his acts together and stop behaving like a child. His thoughts would occasionally drift to Habeebah but, his hands never brought his phone to call her.