Chapter 9

"Mommy!" Hanaan called out to her Mom running downstairs. "Mommy! Where are you?" She asked again.

"I am in the kitchen!" Habeebah yelled.

"Where have you been?" She asked her Mom.

"In the kitchen, where else will I be?" Habeebah queried her daughter.

"I have been looking for you everywhere, your phone has been ringing." She said.

"Did you pick it?" Habeebah asked.

"No I didn't but the caller was Aisha Adamu." She replied handing the phone to Habeebah.

"Ya Allah! Aisha?.....just.....erm......dial the number for me, my hands are covered in batter." She told the little girl.

"Okay....it's ringing, I have put it on speaker. Besides what are you going to make with the batter?" She asked taking a spoonful of the batter without Habeebah noticing.

"Salaam Alaykum." Aisha's voice came on.

"Wa Alaykum Salaam! Good morning ma, let me get her on the line for you." She answered.

"Mommy the caller is on the line." She scurried to the sink where Habeebah was washing her hands.

"Stand on that stool and put the phone on my ear." Habeebah ordered.

"Girlfriend! I wasn't close to the phone when you called, how are you doing?" Habeebah asked her friend.

"Alhamdulillah I'm fine. Actually I called to inform you that I'm on my way to your house." Aisha replied.

"What?! Well......uhmmm......don't go there, I am at Baba's house." She rapidly uttered.

"Why are you at Baba's house?" Aisha asked trying to figure out why her friend was stammering while replying her, she could sense something was wrong somewhere with the way her friend reacted.

"I came to spend the weekend with them....erm...." She lied. "Anyways just direct your driver down to Baba's place." She added trying to suppress the tears from escaping her throat.

"Okay no problem, I will be there straight away." Aisha replied from the other end then hung up.

"Maami! Is she your friend?" Hanaan asked sitting on the stool.

"Yes my dear we have been friends since childhood but she stays in the UK. She came for a wedding here in Nigeria and will be visiting us today." Habeebah answered her daughter switching off the gas.

"I haven't taken my bath, same as Aaliyah." She said panicking. "Maami let me go......Aaliyah!!" And with that she ran out.

Half an hour later

"Sweetheart!" Aisha chortled from the doorway running lightly to embrace her friend.

"Cuddle bug!" Habeebah sniggered hugging the daylight out of her friend. This was her favorite nickname she use to call Aisha from their senior secondary school days.

"I missed you so much." Aisha said lightly wiping at the tears of joy that drop from her eyes.

"Same here love. Look at you, you haven't changed one bit." Habeebah replied releasing her friend from the hug but not letting go of her hands.

"You haven't changed either." Aisha riposted giggling.

"How have you been? Like there's alot for us to talk about." Habeebah said dragging her into the magnificent sitting room.

Different pots of flowers were assigned at the doorway, a large mirror was placed on the wall close to the door inside the living room with a tall flower vase standing close to it. Two recliners were placed at the far end of the spacious parlor, a maxi sofa, floor pillows and a couch. Four side tables fixed at each side of the settees, a glass table in the center and high window panes symmetrically lined up which allows enough light to illuminate the home.