Chapter 10

"Farouk would be here any minute, Hussainah please check the rice it must have cooked by now." Umma said chopping some vegetables. She woke up early to prepare all of Farouk's favourite meals, she knows her son won't bother starving himself because all he thinks about is work, work and nothing but it.

"Okay ma'am." Hussainah replied wiping her hand with a kitchen towel.

"Good morning Mummy." Habeebah greeted engulfing Umma in a hug.

"Good morning Habeebah, how was your night?" She asked heading to the microwave.

"Alhamdulillah it was fine. I see you are up so early, your son is returning back after all." Habeebah teased chuckling.

"You know how he can be, I am sure he doesn't bother eating anything. How can someone take a cup of coffee and tell you he is full?" Umma asked making both Habeebah and Hussainah burst into laughter.

"Remember you also don't like eating when you were younger." Baba interposed from the doorway.

"But my case is different, I don't eat macaroni and it's virtually prepared everyday since everyone at home likes it." Umma explained.

"Yeah yeah I remember." Baba added imitatively, picking an apple from the fruit basket before heading out.

"Maami!?" Hanaan squealed peering into the kitchen. "Uncle Farouk is here." She added scampering away.

"Hamma Farouk welcome, how was your flight?" Suhaib asked helping him with his luggage.

"So you now recognize me as your Hamma (brother) isn't it?" Farouk asked hassled. "I didn't get a call or text message from you while I was away and now you're asking about my well-being." He retorted leaving Suhaib stupefied. Farouk is not the type to get angry easily but if he does, it takes time before he loses the heat.

"It's not what you....." Farouk cut him short before he could finish. "Just save it it's no use explaining, after all I am back." He added leaving his younger brother at the vestibule. Suhaib was guilty, he knew that but at least Farouk should have listened to what he had to say.

"Welcome home son, how was your trip?" Hassan asked stretching his hand for a handshake.

"Alhamdulillah! It was stressful but it went well." Farouk smiled gleefully returning the gesture.

"Uncle where is my chocolate?" Hanaan asked hands akimbo.

"Is that how to welcome Uncle home?" Farouk replied with furrowed brows.

"Where are your manners Hanaan?" Habeebah glared at Hanaan exiting the kitchen with a cup of lime water. She has instilled good values in her children and wouldn't tolerate it if any of them misbehaves.

"Sorry Uncle." She mumbled.

"It's okay princess come here." Farouk said placing her on his lap. "You want to know what I got you?" He asked and she nodded affirmative. "Here take this, it's all yours." He said handing her a leather bag.

"Wow!" She said excited. "Thank you so much Uncle, you're the best." Hanaan added hugging him before leaving to look for Aaliyah.

"How was your journey?" Habeebah asked handing him the cup taking a sit close to Baba.

"Interesting; I met this girl on board, she was good company." He replied smiling staring blankly. Hassan and Habeebah looked at each other bewildered, the Farouk they know has never complimented any girl before, who was this lady and what has she done to him.

"Uhmmm!" Baba cleared his throat bringing the young man out of his trance.

"You said you met a lady and that she was good company?" Habeebah asked surprised. "Are you sure nothing is wrong?" She added causing Farouk to let out a small laugh.

"Surprising huh? I have never complimented a girl before but there was something about this one that I couldn't just figure out, she is different from any other I have met actually." He elaborated making both Habeebah and Hassan smile.

"I see." Baba said making him blush.

Suhaib walked in moody, he never wears this look except it's something serious or if he does something wrong. Wait! it is serious, his brother is mad at him.

"Why are you sulking?" Baba questioned raising a brow.

"I am sorry." He said pouting. This man is something else. One minute he is serious, the other he acts like a baby.

"Sorry for what?" Baba asked looking at Habeebah who was also flummoxed. All this while, Farouk didn't spare him a glance.

"He is angry with me." Habeebah didn't understand what he was saying so she asked. "Who is angry at you?"

"Farouk is. Please help me plead with him, he doesn't want to hear me out." He said.

"And what did you do that makes him angry with you?" Farouk asked his eyes still fixated on his phone.

"I didn't bother texting him or passing a call to him but it's not so, I have also been very busy and when I remember to call him, he might be asleep." Suhaib rambled.

"It's no problem, he has forgiven you." Farouk verballed with a smile.

"Really?" Suhaib asked wanting to confirm.

"You know I can't stay mad at you for long." Farouk assured.

"With that settled, you should come and eat." Umma interposed from the dinning area, she has been standing there for what seems like forever listening to her children.

"My one and only." Farouk beamed walking over to give her a hug.

"I am not your one and only anymore, you have found another one." Umma said shrugging.

"No....erm.....actually." He stuttered scratching his head.

"I was just teasing you." Umma caressed his cheeks. "How are you doing?"

"I am fine maa." He replied with a toothy grin.

"I am starving people!" Suhaib exclaimed rolling his eyes.

"Someone is jealous." Habeebah teased helping Baba get up.

"Oh please!" Suhaib waved her off.

*****
Knock! Knock!! Knock!!!

"Come in!" Farouk yelled.

"Hey bro." Habeebah waved with a small smile.

"Adda? Please come sit." He said pointing to the couch.

"You know I told you there was something I want to discuss with you." She said in one breath. She wants to make the discussion as quick as possible.

"Yes I do remember." He nodded affirmative.

"I want to file for a divorce, so I need an attorney to help me with the proceedings." She verballed.

"Why not use the family's lawyer?" He asked.

"That is exactly why I came to you. I don't want to involve the family's lawyer, this is my personal matter and besides he doesn't file for divorce, he is a corporate lawayer. You should no better." Habeebah said.

"Sorry sis I forgot." Farouk apologized.

"I want someone who is very tough, you know very resilient, someone that can't be intimidated, someone who can't be easily threatened, you know Mahmoud is very influential and has lots of connections. This is going to be a very tough case he won't take this laying low, he would fight with everything he has to get the custody of the children just to spite me." She expounded sighing.

"Don't worry yourself about it big sis, I know of a very prominent attorney in town I am sure he would take your case. I would book an appointment with him later." Farouk said promising.

"That is good news, can we go see him tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yes we could go tomorrow." Farouk replied.

"It would be of great use to me if we get this attorney to take up the case, I would even be able to start practicing under him or her." Habeebah said happily.

"By Allah everything would be alright." He assured giving her a side hug.

"Aameen thank you." She muttered.