CHAPTER 33.

Flying for about two days at top speed, with stops in between of course, we finally reach the City of the Flightless. Katlaine stayed back to take care of Zed's grandmother while Mrs Purplestorm and Filn headed for the City of the Forgottens. Decklan didn't think the Flightless would welcome them warmly.

Ever since Filn mentioned this City and its people, I haven't gotten much information on them so I'm curious to know more about this place. It doesn't look like it's a very big city like the others but the security sure is tight. Two front guards walk up to us, weapons brought out already.

"What business do you have here?" One of them says.

"We'd like to speak to your leader," Decklan replies, stepping forward.

"I think we're done here then. He's not available so please leave immediately," the guard says.

"I know he is around so please just pass this message to him. Tell him the late King's hand is here," Decklan says and the guards look at each other briefly before sighing.

"We'll pass your message only because you're one of us but you all will have to wait outside the gate until we're back," the other guard says and they both turn to leave.

"Thank you," Decklan says.

I watch the two guards walk away and notice that they don't have wings. I can't see their bare back though but they definitely don't have wings. I turn to ask Decklan about it but he seems to have already figured me out.

"You're curious again huh? It's quite simple though. They cut their wings," he says, looking around the place.

"Oh." I frown as the image of what that would look like pops into my mind. "Why would they do such?"

"They are rebels. They decided they didn't want peace after my father was murdered. They believe he was the one true king." Zed speaks up from behind me.

"Hmm. If that's true then is it safe for Buttertooth, Puffer and I?" I ask but then remember something. "I know I'm not completely a Freestar but they might not listen."

"You're the Priestess of Gravicta. You're safe okay?" Zed assures me.

"Okay," I say even though a feeling of unease has started to eat me up.

"What about us? We're nothing," Puffer says and Buttertooth hits his arm. "Ouch. I mean to the Flightless'."

"You're with us so you're as important." Zed closes his eyes and breathes in sharply.

"Are you okay?" I ask and his eyes fling open.

"Yes. I was just thinking about something." He shrugs.

"Is it something you want to keep to yourself or?" I ask further, making him shake his head with a smile.

"Do you know what will happen after this is all over?" He scratches the back of his head.

"Now that I think about it, I don't really know. It seems we can't just go back to our normal lives," I say, looking at the ground.

"No, we can't. But I have a feeling something big will happen," he mumbles, looking at Decklan this time.

"I think I can guess. When this is all over, Gravicta will need a new King." Decklan grins as he talks.

"You will be the next King of Gravicta!" Puffer exclaims.

My eyes open wide as it all becomes clear. I never thought that far ahead but if we succeed in ending the night of the zero moon and send the demons back to hell, Zed will be considered worthy to become the next King of Gravicta. Looking at him right now, I think he'll make a fine king.

"Congrats bro." Puffer smiles at Zed and punches his shoulder lightly.

"Thanks, but I doubt I'll accept it. I am no King," Zed says but before we can counter his doubts, the gates open a bit and the two guards come back.

"Our leader has permitted you all to enter," one of them says and gives the signal for the gates to be opened wider.

With Decklan taking the lead, we follow the guards. I take a look around the place as we slowly walk in and I notice that there are no houses here. The city is only crowded with tents and long wooden poles. Looking up to see just how long these poles are, my eyes meet something scary.

"What in the–" I almost scream but I cover my mouth to hold myself.

"Are you okay?" Almost everyone asks me and I point upwards.

"Are those..." Puffer whispers and Decklan nods.

"Those are dead bodies hanging up there. I told you that these angels are rebels so you shouldn't be surprised," Decklan says plainly.

"So, they just kill other angels and hang them up with a pole?" Zed says angrily.

"You need to calm down. We have something important we need from them so no causing of trouble okay?" Decklan says.

Zed looks around for a few seconds before nodding and turning to me. "Hey after this is all over, would you like to grab a bite with me?"

My eyes widen again but I quickly hide the fact that I am surprised. "You're asking me that right now? Like in the middle of this?"

"I need a distraction if I'm not going to cause any trouble. You're my favourite distraction," he says with a wink and the way his face is when he does that makes me chuckle.

"Okay okay. I'll grab a bite with you only on one condition," I say, smiling at the fact that he really doesn't like being kept in suspense.

"What's that?" He says, sneaking his arm around my waist and drawing me closer to him.

I giggle as he tickles me a bit. "Stop that or I won't tell you."

"You two know that we're in a strange city, right?" Puffer says and Zed rolls his eyes.

"I don't care about that." Zed shrugs and turns to me again. "What's your condition?"

"Well I'll only go out for a bite with you when you've made me yours," I say bravely with a big grin on my face.

His face tells me that he's surprised but he smiles and scratches the back of his head, a habit of his that shows that he is nervous. I like that I can make him feel that way.

"We're here," a guard says, drawing our attention to the huge tent in front of us. "Don't die in there."