CHAPTER 24.

We are sitting in a small camp the boys made and everyone is quiet. Zed and I haven't spoken to each other and even Puffer has refused to say a word. Mrs Purplestorm had explained how she is the first Forgotten and also revealed Filn's identity but the whole conversation ended with just that.

"Why were you walking instead of flying?" Mrs Purplestorm asks, breaking the silence.

"We've been flying for a while now. We're exhausted," Decklan says. "Look, I'm sorry about the way I acted earlier."

"It's okay," Mrs Purplestorm replies. I'm guessing Decklan knew about her being a Forgotten and thought she was still hiding it.

"We should all rest up because we have a long way to go tomorrow. I'm guessing you won't listen if we say you all should go back to the City," Decklan says and rests his head against a small pillow.

"How did you guys carry these things around?" I ask, looking at the size of the tent and the small pillows.

"Lucky Zed's with us. He's just so strong." Katlaine smiles brightly, maybe too brightly.

"I see. That's a good thing then," I whisper and lay my head down to sleep.

My mind roams around, displaying everything that's happened in just a day. There are a lot of things I don't know and yet the few I found out today are just too much to handle. I stay put on my pillow for a while before I start drifting away slowly into a peaceful slumber. But I don't miss the tiny voice in my head that says: I love you Eve.

~'~

Mrs Purplestorm woke the girls up earlier so we'd get ready before the boys awoke. I'm currently trying to fix my hair and without a mirror, it's really annoying. Just as I am about to forget about the whole hair thing, Katlaine comes from behind me and helps me out.

"Hello sister," she says as she works on my hair.

"Hey." My voice comes out unsure.

"How have you been doing?" She asks.

"Good. How about you?" I ask back and she chuckles.

"I've been okay I guess," she says softly. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to meet you before now. I actually did plan on seeing you after this whole mission thingy."

I smile. "It's okay. It wasn't possible to come see me anyways."

"I would really love to be your big sister, if you want me to," she says, causing me to turn around.

I stare into her eyes for a moment, trying to see through her but apparently, I don't have such powers. "I guess we could give it a try."

"So, do you like Zed?" She asks all of a sudden and it causes me to turn red instantly.

"Um... I don't know what you're talking about.," I say, looking straight ahead, staring at nothing just to avoid her awkward stare.

"C'mon you know you can tell me anything," she persuades and I heave a sigh.

"Yes, I do," I say after a brief moment of thinking. "Do you?"

She stops working on my hair and taps my cheeks. "Doesn't matter. My baby sister gets to have her guy and that's what's important."

I don't know why what she said makes me smile but it does. "Thanks Kat."

"You're welcome. But I think the fatty is cute too," she says and I give a small smile.

I'm sure she's referring to Puffer but what I don't know is if Buttertooth is really into him. I'd need to clarify that so things don't get messy.

"He is. But I think maybe my friend likes him," I say and she laughs.

"That girl? What's her name again?" She asks as she finishes with my hair.

"Buttertooth. She's my best friend," I say, trying to signal that she should be careful with her choice of words.

A small smile plays on her lips. "I can leave Zed because you are my younger sister but I'm not just going to let the fatty go just like that. That's not going to be fun at all."

I stay silent as I watch her smile and tap my cheeks again. She looks at me from head to toe before nodding her head slowly. Buttertooth appears and looks confused with the way we both are staring at each other.

"Uhm, am I interrupting anything?" She says, standing beside Katlaine who now looks at her.

"Not really. Was just helping my sister out with her hair," Kat replies and turns to me again. "Eva you actually do look like dad a lot."

Katlaine smiles again before leaving, keeping me in a state of wonder. Buttertooth looks at me for a while before sighing.

"You do look really amazing with your new hairstyle," she admits.

"Thanks," I mumble and she shakes her head, smiling.

"The boys are up and we need to start going but not before breakfast. Mrs Purplestorm and Filn cooked something up. Let's go," she says, helping me up.

"Okay. But before that, I need to ask-" I start but it starts getting weird asking what I wanted to ask.

"Don't do that. Ask me whatever you felt like asking Eve," Buttertooth warns and I shove her playfully, a smile playing on my lips.

"Okay. I just wanted to ask if you like Puffer," I say and I immediately see her cheeks turn red.

"Uhm, maybe," she says and starts walking away quickly.

"Butter! Get back here," I say and she comes back with a face, looking like a lost puppy. "It's important. I think Katlaine wants him. I just felt like I should give you a heads up."

"She better not try anything stupid with-" She begins but I shut her up with a wave of my hand.

"No violence. Just try talking to Puffer and tell him how you feel," I say and she pouts.

"I can't tell him that now. He's been down since Zed left and I think he's still mad about it." She sighs and I nod lightly.

"I understand but keep him close. I have a feeling I have a really crazy big sister," I say and even I laugh at my words.

She nods and hugs me before I spot Mrs Purplestorm standing a few steps away, smiling and shaking her head. "Let's go have breakfast and we'll get going."