CHAPTER 31.

Today is the last day that we are staying here. Zed and Decklan went out over an hour ago to get something which apparently is very necessary to stop the demons on the night of the zero moon. I still don't understand what I am supposed to do but they both said we should sit and wait for them.

Puffer and Buttertooth are seriously talking things out in my bathroom. I'm guessing he's telling her about the whole Katlaine thing. Speaking of Katlaine, I haven't seen her in a while now that I think about it. I hope she's fine though.

The sound of the door opening drags me out of my thoughts. I turn to see Katlaine strolling in tiredly. She yawns and sits down beside me, resting her head on my laps and closing her eyes.

"Are you okay?" I ask worriedly as I gently rub her shoulders to make her feel as comfortable as possible.

She nods her head. "I'm fine. I'm not the one you should be worried about."

"What do you mean?" Confusion clouds my mind as I think of who I should be worried about right now.

"I'm surprised he hasn't told you all. Zed's grandmother fell terribly ill the night we arrived. I only found out yesterday and volunteered to look after her," she says, her eyes still closed.

"Whoa. Is that why Zed has been on edge?" I ask and she nods again.

Buttertooth and Puffer come out of my bathroom and the moment they see Katlaine, they pause. Buttertooth glares at her but Puffer looks guilty. I place a finger on my lip, telling them to stay quiet which only makes Buttertooth roll her eyes and take a seat.

Shaking my head, I look down at Katlaine to see that she's already asleep so I reduce the pace at which I rub her shoulders. She looks so peaceful and I must say that she's actually really pretty. I really wish I could look just as beautiful as her. Maybe she's the one who actually got dad's look and not me.

"What's she doing here?" Buttertooth whispers loudly and I glare at her.

"She's clearly tired. You really have to stop talking," I whisper back, trying not to wake Katlaine up.

"Whatever," she says and gets up, leaving the room.

Puffer places his face in his palms and sighs before getting up and leaving too. Buttertooth is obviously not handling the news of Katlaine seducing Puffer well. I know she was being a bitch but she's not all that bad. She's also my big sister so I don't see it out of place to make sure she's okay.

Now that I think about it, I am a Fallen just like her, Zed has a big brother too and Mrs Purplestorm was the late King's Priestess. How did things get so complicated? Why would they even be hiding such things from us? If we already knew these things, we'd have been prepared for the dark night and we wouldn't be as miserable as we currently are.

I want to blame the Frees for everything but when I really think about it, everyone's to be blamed somehow, I guess. I need to do my best to make sure that everyone I care about is safe just like Zed is trying to do. That said, I have to make things right with Zed first.

Placing my hands together, I close my eyes to mind link with him. "Hey Zed."

"Hey. Are you okay?" he says, his voice calm and void of emotions.

"Yeah, are you?" I can feel my heart sink already. Maybe he doesn't want to talk to me.

"I guess," he replies.

Taking in a deep breath, I decide to say my mind. "Zed I'm so sorry about the way we've been treating you lately, especially me. I know this is selfish to ask considering the fact that it took me so long to forgive you but please forgive me."

"Eve I'm busy right now. I'll see you around?" He says and my heart sinks.

"Okay. See you around," I say but before I release my joint hands, my chest begins to hurt.

I grab it and squeeze my eyes shut to help me calm down. This isn't me. This is Zed right now. Panic overtakes my mind as I think about what to do to help him. I almost jump off my bed but I remember Katlaine who is still sleeping peacefully on my laps.

I try to calm myself down, taking in breaths slowly. The feeling I had earlier begins to fade away slowly. I don't know if Zed is okay or not but I'm sure he'll make it back here. It's not like there's going to be fighting in this town.

Puffer, Buttertooth and Decklan walk into my room, sitting down on anything they see fit. I just stare at them in disbelief. Buttertooth, I can understand but these boys sure have the guts to barge into my room like that.

"Yeah take a seat. Make yourselves comfortable. It's not like this is a girl's room." I roll my eyes.

"Don't worry honey. We already did make ourselves comfortable," Decklan says with a smile and I shoot him a glare.

"Why are you here?" I ask so straight to the point that he laughs.

"Your boyfriend said we should gather here. He wants to show everyone what exactly made him leave the City of the Frees." He shrugs.

"Zed? Where's he now?" I ask quickly.

"He's coming, calm down tiger. He only went to check up on his grandma," he says and I exhale a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

I'm glad he's safe. Now I understand why he didn't want to talk earlier and why I felt a chest pain. I just really hope he's okay. I hate the way we currently are but I know it's kind of my fault for being too hard on him. I should have just calmed down and talked things out with him. I should really see his grandmother soon though. She's been nothing but nice to us.

My thoughts are cut short when I hear the door open again and Zed strolls in, carrying a bag. He sits beside me and sets the bag down before looking at me. My heart beat increases in pace and heat slowly starts burning my cheeks.

"Hey babe," he says.