CHAPTER 6.

Eva what would you like to eat?" Mrs Purplestorm's voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I blink a couple of times, trying to take in the situation.

A young man is standing beside me and holding a pen and a small book and is staring at me. I realize that he's the waiter and he must have asked the same question while I was lost in thoughts.

"Um... I... I think I'd have just meat and some orange juice," I say embarrassingly. He nods and writes something down before leaving.

We're currently in a restaurant which happened to be around the corner. Mrs Purplestorm had suggested having lunch here instead of walking back to the school on empty stomachs. That's beside the point anyway. The issue at hand is that I don't know how to talk to Zed anymore. I don't fully believe what Mrs Purplestorm said about him liking me but a part of me wants to believe that it's true, I guess. Anyways it shouldn't be an issue since he doesn't want to talk to me.

I need someone to talk to about this. I'll have to go to Buttertooth's house later today so she'll tell me what to do. But then again, I am not meant to tell someone else the secret Zed, Puffer and Mrs Purplestorm told me to keep. It's so confusing, I don't know what to do.

"If you don't start eating now then I'm afraid we'll have to leave you when we're done." I hear puffer say and that makes me snap out of my thoughts, again.

Everyone already started eating and I'm the only one who hasn't even picked up a cutlery. I shake my head and smile at myself as I begin to eat. Zed has a look on that asks 'are you okay?' but I give him a fake smile and look down at my meat. I guess it would be better not to focus on or think about anything.

I usually don't just go around having crushes but I don't know how this boy who I haven't even had a proper conversation with is able to hold down my attention. He throws me off balance without even realizing it. I know that he should be kind of dangerous as the son of the former King of Hell but something about him is soothing, warm and nice.

Gradually, I lift my face to look at him just to see that his eyes are on me. Now that I think about it, I think he's had his eyes on me more than I've noticed. Curiosity starts creeping in as I begin to feel the urge to know why he keeps staring at me.

Maybe he thinks I'm ugly and fun to look at.

I really doubt that because he's not smiling whatsoever. He just keeps staring at me. It's getting really creepy but I decide to face it and accept the challenge. Soon enough it looks like we're doing a staring contest. A smirk begins to play on his lips and then something strange happens. His eyes seem to change to a lighter colour of brownish red.

"I'm taking your meat babe."

"Huh?" I say in confusion. I can swear that his mouth didn't move but I definitely heard his voice.

"What is it? Are you okay?" Mrs Purplestorm asks.

I blink a couple of times and clear my throat to act like nothing happened. I nod in response to her question and she smiles in return. I'm guessing she didn't hear the voice and from the way Puffer is eating unconcerned, I'm guessing same. I look at Zed again and I can see him trying to hold back a laugh.

"What's so funny?" I snap at him. Clearly, I'm getting irritated with the way everything is confusing for me today. I think I might get a headache from overthinking.

"This is," he replies before grabbing my plate and stuffing a lot of meat in his mouth.

My eyes widen in surprise. This can only mean one thing. But it's literally not possible. Zed just talked to me without anyone else hearing him. I'm pretty sure his voice was loud enough.

Now I'm definitely getting a headache because I really don't think my head can carry all these strange things happening today. Or maybe I'm just making all these up.

I take in a deep breath, something I tend to do a lot, and close my eyes to relax. I guess the best explanation is that my brain is making all these up especially after finding out about Zed. It must really be too much for me to handle. What just happened now must also be a coincidence

because I doubt that anyone, even Zed, would be able to talk to me without other people hearing. I guess I really should stop thinking and just eat my, "OH NO!"

My eyes snap open as I remember that Zed took my meat. I see him still eating it and I scowl at him.

"Give me back my meat!" I say through gritted teeth. He slides the plate to me and raises his hands in surrender. I fume while Mrs Purplestorm and Puffer start laughing their butts off.

~'~

"Did you have fun dear?" Mom asks me as I walk into the sitting room.

"Not really but I guess it was okay." I shrug and she gives me a look before smiling and shaking her head.

"What?" I laugh as I ask her. She probably thinks I'm lying.

"Nothing. Just that since you came back, you've been acting weird. Not that you're not weird already," she says and I pout playfully.

"I am not weird. And if I am, I'm sure I got it from you." I smirk and she laughs.

"Go get some rest love. Dinner will be ready before you know it," she says softly.

"No. I'll cook today. Just keep doing whatever you're doing," I say and she smiles before getting up and placing a kiss on my forehead.

"We'll cook together then. Deal?" She says and I chuckle.

"Can't you just let me cook alone? Whatever though. Deal." I roll my eyes.

"Race you to the kitchen!" She screams and starts running towards the kitchen.

"Oh no you're not winning me this time mom," I say out before running after her.