CHAPTER 16.

"Oh please don't flatter yourself." I slap his arm and look away, trying to hide my heated cheeks. "I was talking about the rest in there."

"Sure, you were babe." He laughs out.

"So, um you said something that caught my attention." I play with my fingers as curiosity eats me up.

"What did I say?" He rests the side of his body on the wall beside him.

"Well you mentioned that the Fallens aren't much and I was just wondering what you meant," I ask, carefully placing my words.

"Heard we split in half after a serious fall out." He shrugs like he didn't really mind talking about it.

"The way you say we annoys me a bit. I'm talking about the Fallens and you keep saying that." I frown and he chuckles.

"I am a Fallen Eve. I'm sure you understand that," he says, looking away from me. "I don't belong here."

"But this is your home," I whine but he shakes his head.

"My first home was destroyed years ago." He finally looks back at me as he continues. "My current home is in danger but I'm going to defend it with everything I have."

"What are you talking about?" I furrow my brows and huff.

"You and everyone in this building are my home. I'm not going to let them destroy something that precious to me again." He grins and I can't help but smile as my heart warms up.

"When did you start considering me part of your home?" I begin to wonder.

"I knew you were a big part of my life from the first time you kissed me," he says softly.

"Wow. Two years ago? How did you become so sure I would be a big part of your life?" I wiggle my brows and he laughs.

"Well that's because after you kissed me, I felt a connection instantly," he says and now I'm confused.

"I don't understand. You just instantly knew we'd start talking later in the future?"

He chortles, shaking his head. "I felt a connection form immediately inside my head. When I close my eyes and concentrate, I can feel you. I don't know how to explain it."

My eyes widen. "You can feel me? Boy that sounds really weird."

He shrugs and looks me in my eyes. "You are literally the only person I can talk to like this."

I stare at him and notice that his mouth didn't move and the voice sounded right in my head. A sudden wave of realization hits me as I instantly understand what he's saying.

"You can't mind link, or whatever it's called, with someone else?" I ask and he shrugs again, making me smile.

"I don't understand it myself but my grandma told me that my dad was able to do it too." He grins at me and I roll my eyes, still smiling.

"Yeah so what? Like father like son," I say and he nods his head approvingly with pride. "Who was he able to do it with?"

"My mom," he says as he smiles to himself, slowly entering a world of his own.

Me on the other hand, sit with wide eyes and crazy thoughts. The late King Lucifer was able to mind talk with the person he called his wife. Zed can only mind talk with me.

"It's a sad thing that my life can't go the way his did though." His voice sounds frustrated but he laughs anyways.

"First of all, your life won't go the way his did cause you're you and he's him," I start but I can tell that's not helping. "But why do you think so?"

"He fell in love with a very beautiful woman. He could do this mind talk thingy with her so I'm guessing it's like a special bond? I don't know." He shrugs.

In a way, that sounded strange to me. It's as if he is saying he won't get to fall in love with me but I don't say anything. I guess my silence tells him that he can keep talking because he does.

"They get married and they have a kid. Even if they didn't live long, they lived the dream," he finishes with a sigh.

"And why do you think you're not going to live the dream just like he did?" I ask dryly and he laughs.

"Don't get me wrong Eva. I like you." He looks away as though he wasn't expecting to say that. I can feel my cheeks heating up once again. "I like you a lot but-"

A sudden feel of disappointment rushes through me. "But what?"

He shakes his head as if telling me to just forget about it but I don't let it slide. "No tell me. I want to know. You can't just start and then tell me to forget it just like that. That's not fair!"

He lifts his hands to quiet me as I just keep rambling. "Okay. It's just that things aren't going to work between us even if–"

"On a second thought, I don't want to know anymore." I huff in annoyance and get up, leaving him before he finishes what might make me snap. I may not be able to handle it.

"Wait, you don't understand," he shouts from behind me and I realize that I'm actually walking and I don't know where to actually go.

"There's nothing hard in understanding that we can't work," I say to myself, laughing at the whole thing. "Don't follow me."

And with that, I spread my wings and fly away, not sparing him even the slightest chance to respond. I don't even know why I like him so much. Yes, I kissed him once two years ago and then we start talking only a couple days ago but I'm already a mess.

I laugh out to myself as I not so gently land on my feet. I turn around to take in my environment. I'm in an abandoned building which was meant to be the first supermarket, God knows what that means, but it never got completed as we killed one of the nicest men I've ever heard of.

I sigh as I sit on the dusty and dirty ground in front of the building, hugging my leg as I close my eyes to enjoy the silence and get my mind off things. It doesn't last long as I hear footsteps behind me.

"I thought I made it clear not to follow me," I say.

There's no response. My eyes open immediately and I turn swiftly. The angel being comes out of the building slowly until I can make out the face. What scares me is that it's not an angel being. It's a red creature with horns and a tail.

"Stay away from me." I get up quickly and try to fly away but a hand grabs me and closes my mouth.

Its hand feels so hot.

Struggling to break free, I hit its stomach area but it doesn't flinch. I'm about to hit it again when something else grabs my attention. The signs on my palms are glowing.

"Stay the hell away from her!" I hear someone growl and even if I can't see the person, the creature actually lets me go and disappears.

"Eva please don't ever leave me like that again."