CHAPTER 1.

It's a quiet afternoon today. So quiet that if a little pin should fall unto the floor, everyone would hear it. The whole class pays attention as Mrs Purplestorm teaches us on world history.

"Over twenty years ago, Gravicta was in chaos. The free and fallen angels couldn't live in peace. As you all know, the fallen angels rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven. It is said that they were sent to hell to suffer but eventually forgiven, to an extent, and brought to Gravicta to stay," she says, dramatically moving her hands and face.

It is actually meant to be funny considering her childish behaviour and obsession with history but this is just so interesting that I literally don't care. The lights shining through the window beside me isn't even enough to distract me. This is, and has always been, my favourite subject.

"About eighteen years ago, both of the angel races came to an agreement on how to fix this problem. The Freestars came to understand that the war was not necessary because the Fallens refused to fight back and ended up just being slaughtered without cause."

"The Freestars then decided that the Fallens' leader, Lucifer Morningstar, would marry a Freestar and would become the king of Gravicta. At first, the late King Lucifer didn't agree to this. He told them he wasn't fit to be king." She rolls her eyes as she rests her face in her palms.

The students burst into laughter but she raises a hand to stop us all.

Slowly, she takes a short walk to the old wooden door that's probably as old as the school. Stopping and releasing a sigh, she turns to face us again. "Well that didn't seem to last. Love happened."

Smiles and chatters fill the classroom as everyone talks about the love story of the late King and his wife. It's a story that parents would tell their children, elders would tell the younger generation and even children discussed it with one other.

It is said that the late king was flying around the city of the Frees, my city, when he first met his now late wife. He had rejected being the king and was asked to think about it. That was his first time in the city so it was kind of strange being greeted by some Freestars flying around too. He then heard someone singing close by and decided to follow the voice and ended up in the woods. That's when he saw a Freestar playing with birds and singing. That's how he ended up falling in love with the late Queen. Not long after that, he accepted being king and that was the beginning of peace amongst the angel cities.

That's what my mom tells me.

"So, any questions?" Mrs Purplestorm asks with so much enthusiasm, it makes me roll my eyes and chortle. She just seems to love world history so much; I don't understand it sometimes.

My smile falters a bit after a certain thought crosses my mind. I raise my hand and that gets the attention of the teacher. Swallowing a lump that starts forming in my throat, I gather the courage to go ahead with my question despite the eyes of everyone in the room on me.

"Ms Harpfill." She gestures towards me to stand up and ask my question.

"How did they die?" I blurt out too suddenly but still feel the need to be a little bit more specific. "I mean the late–"

"I understand what you're asking. We'll talk about that in our next class," Mrs Purplestorm says, interrupting me.

I immediately understand that she didn't want to talk about it. This is meant to be our last class in world history as we're going to be graduating soon so there will be no next time but I just nod and sit back down. Everywhere is now as quiet as it was some minutes before.

"Sure," someone says from behind me.

My head spins around to see who just talked because the voice didn't sound familiar. It seems I'm not the only one who notices. Everyone has their heads turned too.

It's a boy that I rarely noticed. Not that I don't see him. He just doesn't associate with anyone. This is literally the first time anyone here has heard him talk.

"I'm out of here," the boy says, getting up and strolling out of the class. Something about him seems off and I can't really place my thoughts on it. I think he always has a hood on like he doesn't want anybody seeing his face.

"Please excuse me ma'am," another boy, called Puffer, says shyly. He scratches his head and gently makes his way out of the class too.

Now that I think about it, I think I've seen this Puffer guy with Mr strange who left the class earlier. I guess they're... friends?

"Okay. I hope you all are excited to get your wings soon." Mrs Purplestorm coughs, trying to get back the attention of the students. She turns around and flaunts her white wings for everyone to see.

"Yes ma'am," the class says, admiring her wings.

They are so white and beautiful. The feathers chocked up together makes it look so full and majestic. I could barely wait to get mine.

In Gravicta, we the younglings don't have wings until we visit the God lands which is said to be located in a place that nobody knows. When the time is right, a portal is opened and anyone who goes through it will end up there. It is said to be the only place where we can truly communicate with God. Every year, the class of 16-year olds would go there to receive wings and if the year is right, some would receive prophesies.

I've never really understood the prophesy part because since I was born, I haven't heard of anyone who actually got a prophesy. I mean, what's that even supposed to mean? It sounds like something that you would read in novels or so and not something you would see or experience in real life. I just shrug to myself silently.

The bell rings and we all start packing up our stuff. I decide to meet up with Mrs Purplestorm to talk about the death of the late King and Queen. I am just simply curious to know what really happened to them. I can understand that she didn't want to talk about it during class but I hope she'll tell me before I burst.

After packing up and telling my best friend goodbye, I hurriedly walk to the teachers' section of the school and make my way to her office. Taking a deep breath to calm my wrecking nerves, I knock before I change my mind.

"Come in," she calls out.

I push the door open, the squeaks almost deafening. Hopping inside, I close it and turn to see that she's working on a few papers but smiles when she sees me.