CHAPTER 22.

Filn left to get the so-called book of spells Mrs Purplestorm spoke about. I still don't know what to believe with all that's going on. Zed is gone, Filn and Mrs Purplestorm are Forgottens. Currently sitting in the living room with Buttertooth beside me and Mrs Purplestorm across, I close my eyes and try to distract myself.

"So why didn't you tell us?" I hear Buttertooth ask and I open my eyes to see that she is asking Mrs Purplestorm and not me.

"It's not something you just tell anybody trust me. I already blocked my magic so if I were to be discovered, I'd be dead," Mrs Purplestorm replies, trying to smile.

"You blocked your magic?" Buttertooth asks, still not trusting her.

"Yes. I had Filn do it for me. That way no Forgotten can locate me easily but I won't be able to use magic," she explains.

"Oh. Are you avoiding the Forgottens?" This time it's me who asks and her attention turns to me.

"No, I'm not. How do I put this, I just needed time to figure something out and it required me leaving my people for some time."

"So, you're like their leader?" Buttertooth asks and she nods.

"Your story still doesn't make much sense to me." I sigh as I rest my back further on my chair, slouching a little.

"What's not adding up?" She looks at me with an amused face.

"How are you able to use magic? Like how did you get your powers? Or whatever you call it," I say and the amusement on her face falters.

"That's for another day. I don't want to talk about it," she says and before I can reply, the front door opens.

Filn comes in holding a very old and dusty book. The brown cover of the book looks like it'll be better off being thrown away and the pages look so worn out. She sets the book on the table and takes a seat beside Mrs Purplestorm.

"That book has seen better days," Buttertooth says and I chuckle.

"Just watch kiddo," Mrs Purplestorm says with a smirk and faces Filn.

They both hold hands and Filn talks inaudibly for a while before releasing Mrs Purplestorm's hands. Buttertooth and I are silent as we watch Mrs Purplestorm pick the old book up and the book instantly changes form. The cover turns black and the pages becomes new. My eyes widen as the book opens itself and words start appearing on each page. I realize that Buttertooth and I had stood up to see clearly without knowing we did.

"The book is new again?" Buttertooth says and even I don't need to look at her to know that she's confused and also scared just like I am.

"Yes. I made it old as a disguise. If you had opened it back then, you'd see it as a Gravicta world history book," Filn says while Mrs Purplestorm keeps talking to herself and transforming the book.

"So, you just unlocked her magic?" I ask.

"Too much questions. We don't have much time if we want to catch up to Zed. He's headed for the city of the Fallens as we speak but he's not alone," Mrs Purplestorm says.

"Of course, he's not alone. That son of a bitch called Decklan must be with him," Buttertooth spits out bitterly.

"I know but the thing is that there are two people with him," Mrs Purplestorm says and gets up, giving the book to Filn.

"Two? Who's the second person? Wait! Where's Puffer?" Buttertooth says and runs towards the door but stops when she opens it. "Puffer?"

I walk up to the door to see Puffer standing there while Buttertooth hugs him, which by the way looks like she's squeezing the life out of him. But if he's here, then we don't know the second person who Zed is with.

"Puff's here," I call out and Mrs Purplestorm and Filn both come out to see him.

"Puffer where have you been?" Mrs Purplestorm asks and he looks up. Buttertooth is still squeezing him but I can see his eyes are red.

"I've been around. Here and there. You know, the usual places," he mumbles.

"So, you've been at home then," Buttertooth says, releasing him.

"Yes, I have." He sighs and puts his hands in his pockets. "I just can't believe Zed. Leaving the city without actually talking to me. Such a best friend he is."

"How did you know that Zed left?" I ask and his tired eyes stare at me.

"He left a note. Can you believe that?" He replies angrily.

"Well at least you got a note," I mutter to myself but from the way Buttertooth looks at me sadly, I'm guessing she heard me.

"Well let's go in and talk. Puffer you can go sleep in the guest room where Zed used to stay," Mrs Purplestorm says.

"I'm not sleepy," he answers tiredly.

"You are going to bed young man," Buttertooth says and he grumbles loudly.

"We are going after Zed tonight. I know you would want to come along so you need to rest Puffer," Filn finally speaks and Puffer looks at her.

"Um, okay?" He says as he eyes her suspiciously. "Um..."

"I'm Filn. An old friend of Mrs Purplestorm. Nice to meet you," Filn interrupts him and he nods before stepping into the house.

"I'll be upstairs," he mumbles again before leaving. Buttertooth follows him.

"So, we're leaving the city tonight?" I ask as the rest of us go back to the sitting room.

"Yes. Filn and I will cast a spell that'll help us pass the gates without being noticed. We don't need the unnecessary attention," Mrs Purplestorm explains.

"Will I be able to help with anything?" I ask and she smiles.

"You know; I like you a lot. I used to be just like you when I was younger." She keeps smiling. "I just hope you don't turn out the way I did."

I look at her, confused from what she just said but decide not to question it. "I'm just eager to help."

"I'll get the invisibility spell going while Filn teaches you the basics of praying," Mrs Purplestorm says and leaves.

"Wait what? I know how to pray," I say and Filn laughs then it hits me. "This isn't the normal kind of praying, is it?"

"No, it isn't. It's like casting spells but this can only be done by the Priestess. Doing this doesn't make you a Forgotten," she explains and I nod.

"So, shall we begin?" She smiles as she takes a sit and I join her.