CHAPTER 8.

Attention everyone. Please file out orderly according to your school. We leave in ten minutes," someone announces and everyone begins to line up outside. I find myself following Zed out to join our schoolmates.

After a few minutes, everyone is in position. There are eight elders who make up the council and they are present. Mrs Purplestorm and other teachers including Mr Trushin are present too. The Principal is also here. Everywhere is quiet despite the amount of people here. There are guards everywhere now. They look intimidating with their helmets, body armours and spears.

"Welcome everyone. I'm sure you all are aware of what we're doing today. I'm happy that you were able to make it to this point. In about two minutes, you're going to see something that you've only heard about. And after that, you'll be receiving wings, and maybe even prophesies, in a place that is meant to be highly respected. I don't need to tell you all to be on your best behaviours," an elderly woman from the council speaks.

"The place we're going to is called the God lands and as the name implies, it's where we make contact with God the most. We actually don't see him but I can assure you that he will be there and you will understand what I mean when you get there."

"That being said, I wish you all the best," she adds as she looks at her watch and says something to the others, making them all stand up.

Everywhere becomes so bright that I have to close my eyes and use my hands to cover my face. I don't understand what's going on but I don't feel the urge to panic as I feel a certain warmth around me. The light starts to reduce slowly when I hear a voice.

"Peace be with you all in the city of the Frees." The voice has a similar soothing tone to someone I know. Now that I think about it, I think Zed's voice is also like that. Deep but very smooth and soothing.

Slowly, I open my eyes and try to adjust my vision to see my environment clearly. I then see a young angel being with light radiating softly from his body. His wings are shinning and his clothes look so different. He has golden cuffs around his wrists and his long hair is braided. I watch him as he descends slowly from the sky.

"Not minding my name, I am sent from above under orders from God. I shall open a portal that will lead to the God lands for everyone to enter and the portal shall remain open until the very end," he says and I realize he's an actual working angel. I hear a lot of gasps and low chattering.

We, the free angels are also known as the non-working angels. We don't have any assigned duties like the working angels do. This is my first time seeing a working angel and I must say he's beyond my imagination. He's features are striking and he's gorgeous. The only person I've seen with these features except for the glowing body and fashion sense is Zed. Well I guess it's only natural as the late King Lucifer, Zed's father, was a working angel.

I watch as the angel mumbles something, turns around to face the wall, looks up and lifts his hands. He stays that way for a few seconds before a part of the wall turns bright and starts glowing. My eyes widen at the sight unfolding before me.

"You may all now step into the portal, for it is ready," the working angel says.

Slowly, everyone except the working angel enters the portal and I must say, the God lands is beautiful. Flowers are everywhere like it's a very huge garden. The wind is so calm. There are no walls and it looks more like the sun is about to set. I look around in complete awe.

"This is beautiful. It's so peaceful," I say as a butterfly lands on my finger.

"It's okay, I guess," Zed says beside me and shrugs. I just roll my eyes while smiling.

"Now everyone, listen up. I want you to take turns, school by school. Each school will have its chance so calm down. Now starting from the left, everyone, close your eyes and place your hands together," another Elder from the council says.

I watch as the students over there obey and it takes only about five seconds before I see white wings slowly spreading out from their backs. This is truly amazing. From their facial expressions, I conclude that it isn't painful in any way because they look peaceful.

We, being at the far end by the right, are going to be the last school to get wings. Mrs Purplestorm smiles at me and I smile back. I know she's excited to see us get our wings and I'm happy she's here to support. I watch as different schools get wings and pace out the portal very happily. This keeps going on until it's only our school left.

I close my eyes and place my hands together and my body begins to feel light. I swallow hard at the sensation I feel. It feels as though a huge weight is being removed from me. My shoulders relax and my breathing is tranquil.

After a while, I reclaim myself fully and I gently open my eyes. I see all my classmates showing off their wings while smiling and talking. They look wonderful. I don't feel anything. It just seems as though nothing happened to me but when I turn to look at my back, I see my wings and my eyes widen as I flap them and instantly ascend.

I laugh with excitement as I fly towards Zed, crashing into him and making us fall to the ground. He smiles at me too. Mrs Purplestorm, Puffer and Buttertooth make their way to where we are and join in the laughter.

"Everyone, this is my best friend, Buttertooth," I say as I stand up.

"Hi, nice to finally talk to you. I'm Puffer," the chubby boy says and Buttertooth smiles at him.

"I'm Zed," Zed says casually.

"I know," she says and everyone looks at me. I raise my hands to tell them that I haven't told her a single thing.

"Okay it's time to leave," an Elder says and we start walking towards the portal when suddenly I begin to float without using my wings.

Fear creeps in as I notice I'm the only one this is happening to. Everyone is looking up at me and even the Elders look confused. I try to force myself down but I simply just can't. My hands open on their own and I start feeling something ticklish on my palms as if someone is writing on them. I try to scream but I can't.

"What are you doing?" Mrs Purplestorm asks but before I even try to answer, I am immediately released from the invisible force pulling me up and I land to the ground effortlessly, still standing on my feet.

"What was that all about?" I hear an elder ask but I can't explain it myself.

I swallow hard as I shake my head to get a hold of myself. I look at my palms and I see two symbols. One on each palm. Thoughts bombard me and I have a lot of questions going through my head. I just can't understand what really just happened.

"Eva are you-" Zed begins to say but he too starts to float in the air and from his confused facial expression, I don't think he's doing it on purpose.

"Zed!" I scream as he is being pulled up and his body begins to glow red. Slowly, he starts snarling and I see his wings turn black for a moment but then turn back white and the red glowing light around his body turns completely black.

"Zed?" I whisper to myself as if asking a question that nobody could answer. I watch as he closes his eyes and faces up, making his hood fall off. His white hair is now very visible and that earns a lot of attention.

"Is that white hair I see?" Mr Trushin, one of my teachers, says and everyone gasps.

"Oh no! This is definitely not looking good," I whisper to myself.

I see a lot of death glares from people, especially the Elders and guards. They all look like they're ready to kill a monster. I look at Zed who is now beginning to slowly descend.

"Mrs Purplestorm, I think we might have a problem," I say and she nods, her eyes still focused on Zed. "This is really bad."