CHAPTER 28.

"Puffer we've been walking for ten minutes and you haven't said anything," I say as I am getting fed up with the silence between us.

"I'm so sorry. I just don't know where to begin or what to say," he mumbles and I let out a sigh.

"Just start somewhere. I'm getting hungry," I whine and he stops walking, looking at me briefly before talking.

"Maybe we should head back and then you can have breakfast and then some other time we could–"

"Shut up Puffer. Don't even complete that sentence. Look, I can see that something is bothering you so spill it." I groan and he sighs.

"You can sound like a beast sometimes," he says and that makes me glare at him.

"I do not sound like a beast. I'm just hungry," I say.

"I don't want to see you hungry often then. You sound so grumpy," he says and I realize what he is trying to do.

"You're not about to change the subject Puffer. Tell me why you woke me up from my beauty sleep or else." I try frowning my face but I'm sure I don't look even a bit intimidating as he bursts into laughter.

"Chill. I just wanted to talk about Buttertooth and uhm..." He trails off and all traces of humour wipes off his face. "Well Katlaine too."

What he just said amuses me but I try not to show it. Instead, I keep a neutral expression. "What about them?"

"You see, I have this very huge crush on Buttertooth and I really don't know what to do about it," he admits and all of a sudden, I feel like I just won a trophy.

"Finally!" I say with a huge grin playing on my face and he chuckles.

"Finally, what Eva?" He says and I lift myself to tap his shoulders since he's taller than I am.

"I thought you'd never speak up about it. What you should do about it is talk to her. Tell her how you feel about her," I say, feeling like the best love therapist around.

"I know I should but..." He trails off again and I'm beginning to get worried that I might not like what he wants to say.

"But what Puffer?" I mimic him in an attempt to lighten the mood but only end up getting a strained laugh from him.

"There's Katlaine too. I think she might be into me," he says and I roll my eyes.

"Don't be stupid Puffer. If you like Butter, then tell her and stop thinking about Katlaine," I say and immediately, a thought pops into my head.

"Wait, do you like Katlaine too?" I ask and he shakes his head way to fast.

"No no, not that I like her or anything," he says and I laugh at his sudden reaction. "She came into my room last night and um..."

My eyes almost pop out as my mind wanders off to many possibilities of what could have happened in his room last night. "You slept with her? You had sex with my sister?"

"Wait what? No! Well almost but wait, she's your sister?" He says, looking so clueless and confused.

"Yes, she's my half-sister but that's not the point here. What happened last night?" I ask, probably sounding like his mother but oh well.

"She came into my room and we talked about stuff and now that I really think about it, I suppose she did mention you as her sister but I didn't pay much attention to that," he says, looking like he's trying to remember what happened last night as he places his hand on his jaw.

"At first we basically just talked about ourselves and then I guess she thought there was a chemistry because she kissed me but I swear I didn't kiss back. I pushed her away but she kept coming back, slowly getting undressed and before I knew it, she was on top of me, kissing me all over." He pauses and stares at me, waiting for a reaction but I am not about to give him one.

"Keep going," I say and he licks his lips before continuing.

"It happened so fast but, I just couldn't do it. I told her to stop and when she didn't, I stood up and left the room," he finishes.

"That's all that happened?" I ask to be sure.

He nods in response. "Yes, I promise."

"If you left the room, then where did you sleep last night?" I question with narrowed eyes and he chuckles.

"Zed's room. I am still not in good terms with him but he let me stay," he says with a sad smile.

"You want to talk to him, don't you?" I ask and he shrugs.

"He's been my only friend like forever. I get to miss him once or twice don't you think?" He laughs and scratches the back of his head, probably embarrassed. "Anyways that's not the reason I wanted to talk."

"Oh yeah, Buttertooth and Katlaine. Well I think you should tell Buttertooth how you really feel but also tell her what happened between you and Katlaine because I have a feeling my big sis might use it against the both of you," I say and take in a couple of breaths, realizing how fast I was talking.

"Wow you ever considered trying street rap or something? I bet you'd kill it," he teases and I slap his arm causing him to laugh hard.

"Just do what I just said and you should be fine, okay?" I say to make sure he's not thinking of bailing.

"Okay. I'll try but I still don't know how to tell her though. What if she only sees me as a good friend or something?" He closes his eyes and runs his hands through his hair.

The gesture reminds me of Zed. I can vividly remember when I ran my hand through his white hair. I also remember the kiss we shared that day too. My mood drops as I remember that Zed also left me without even talking to me first. He acts as though he could just do whatever he wants and pop back in whenever he wants. Anger slowly creeps in as I feel myself balling my fists to keep calm.

"Are you okay?" Puffer's voice drags me out of my thoughts and I nod, praying he doesn't push the matter further. "Are you sure? Cause you–"

"Just do what I said and you'll be fine, okay?" I interrupt him but he smiles and hugs me.

"Thanks Eva."