CHAPTER 14.

"You're carrying the cake!" I yell as I run out the front door and let my wings out, feeling the soft air that brushes against my bare back.

"Not fair, get back here. We're going to see your boyfriend after all," Buttertooth complains.

My cheeks heat up as I think of Zed being my boyfriend. I turn to see her carrying the cake and locking the door but before she can finish, I flap my wings and immediately feel myself leaving the ground.

"I'll walk. See you there," she says and I smile, nodding lightly before flying towards Mrs Purplestorm's house.

The feeling of the wind against my face feels incredible. This is my first time flying somewhere with my wings and it's a whole lot better than walking. It takes about half the usual time to get there and so in five minutes, I get there and land gracefully in front of the average sized building.

Most of the buildings are completely made of wood and are passed down from generation to generation which explains the soft creaks the wooden two-step stair makes as I climb. Gently knocking on the door, I am immediately answered by Mrs Purplestorm.

"Oh, hey dear." Her face lights up as she sees me. "It feels like it's been forever even if we just saw yesterday."

"It sure does. Good afternoon ma'am." I smile sheepishly as memories of being here earlier this morning floods my mind.

"Come on in." She waves her hand and opens the door further to let me in. "And please call me Purplestorm. Ma'am makes me feel old, even though I am."

I chuckle as I walk in. "Okay. Buttertooth is on her way here. I left her behind."

"Oh wow. It's going to be a full house then because Puffer is also coming." She closes the door and walks over to the living room, leaving me to follow her and look around.

The smell of perfume hits my nose. I can't place my hands on the fragrance but it smells nice.

"Your house is beautiful Purplestorm," I say as my eyes scan the house before they land on her again to see her grinning.

"I try my best. It looks okay, I guess. Thank you." She stops at an entrance without a door which I'm guessing leads to the living room. "I'm going to my room for a bit. Zed is still asleep but I'm sure Puffer will wake him up when he gets here."

Nodding quickly, I walk up to the entrance to take in the beauty of the place. There's a beautiful chandelier suspended from the ceiling and the walls look so smooth and neat. A pair of chairs stay beside each other at each corner of the place and a centre table, with a flower vase on top, decorates the place.

"Wow," I say as I walk in, turning around until my eyes land on someone in the shadows at a corner of the room and he or she is staring directly at me. "Who's there?"

"Hello. We meet again," a male voice says and the figure starts stepping out of the dark corner.

"Decklan?" My voice sounds more like a whisper. The figure finally comes out and it is indeed Decklan.

"You look terrified." He chortles and his eyes close briefly as he places his hands in his pockets.

"Well you scared me," I mumble as I stare at his body. He sure is as tall as Zed but has a wider body. His eyes are dark and his black hair is neatly trimmed. He has a black tee-shirt and blue jeans on, his wings slightly showing from the top of his broad shoulders. The thing is; he looks only a few years older than Zed and I.

"Are you checking me out?" He brings me out of my thoughts and I can see a smirk playing on his lips.

"You wish." I huff, rolling my eyes and going to take a seat. I don't miss his laughter from behind me and I also don't miss his footsteps getting closer.

"I still don't know your name." He takes a sit beside me but doesn't look at me.

"You never asked. But then again we only just saw today." I shrug and he shakes his head and looks at me with an amused smile. "I'm Evalaine but my friends call me Eva or Eve."

"So, Eve it is then." He smiles and offers a hand for a handshake.

"I said my friends." I look at him dryly but deciding not to reject his hand, I shake him.

He laughs briefly but stops and stares at my hand before releasing me. "I'll go with whatever you want."

A knock on the door interrupts me before I can respond. I get up to answer it while Decklan quickly goes back into hiding. He's really not safe here but he's still here and that has me wondering what's so important that he'll be willing to risk his life. I open the door to see Puffer carrying the cake and Buttertooth laughing at something he probably said.

"Hey guys." I open the door for them and Puffer steps in and heads for the kitchen, I'm guessing, while Buttertooth stays with me.

"Where's everybody?" She asks as I close the door.

"Mrs Purplestorm is in her room and I haven't seen Zed yet but Decklan is in here," I say as we head into the living room.

"Decklan?" She questions, her voice sounding unsure.

I turn to see her puzzled face. "Yeah. The guy from this morning, remember?"

"Oh. He's still here?" She says, oblivious to the fact that he's now behind her.

"Sure am," he says calmly, his voice startling her.

She yelps and turns around so quickly that she starts falling but he catches her immediately. I laugh at the scene as I go to sit down again.

"You scared the hell out of me," she says as she steadies herself and places a hand on her chest, trying to calm down.

"Tell me about it. I think he's very fond of scaring people." I shake my head, still staring at them.

"Sorry about that. It's not a really safe place for me so I have to always hide." He shrugs, still smiling and looking at her.

"So, Zed is coming down in a few but–" Puffer comes in but stops when he sees the black winged angel being. "Who the hell are you?"