44. Home is where you are

Start from the beginning

The walls felt like prison around her, closing in on and she felt like her lungs were going to bruise.

She was hyperaware of every noise, every sound. If she listened closer, she could hear people crying behind the closed doors, the sound, ripping and painful, so full of grief and sadness. So full of loss.

I can't lose you.

A tear slipped down her cheeks.

She couldn't lose him. Not him, as well.

After her father, he had been her home, if only for a short time. He had been her friend. Best friend. And love.

And she needed him. She couldn't imagine a life without him, a life where she had to walk all alone.

"Go on." Daniel said as he pointed the door to Alex. She waited for a moment, wishing Daniel would say something, anything about how Logan was, but he didn't.

It was as if he was completely oblivious to Alex's stuttering heart, and clenching stomach.

She pushed the door open and came face to face with Logan.

"Is that tears in your eyes? Alexandra Annie Steele, why are you crying?"

There he was, fine as a horse.

"You are not-"

He was well. Fine. Nothing had happened to him.

"Not dead." He said with a shrug. He looked too calm to her taste. Too freaking composed. And here she was, a freaking mess.

"Are you freaking kidding me?"

"Hey, now, now. I am hurt." He said with a mock look of pout on his face, as he pointed to the Band-Aids stuck to his forehead.

Seriously? Was he for real? Really real?

This was why he was here?

For those three freaking Band-Aids on his forehead?

She could have done that herself. For him. And she could have saved all these agonizing moments and worry for her.

"It is my car that really needs a surgery. Me, I am just here because I have a confusion- I mean concussion and I broke my wrist, too." 

That was when she noticed the sling.

She had been looking at his face that she missed it.

"It hurts and I love you. You are so beautiful and I wish I can kiss that pouty lips, I can too, if you move a little closer to me."

"Are you high, you idiot?"

"A little." He grinned, showing all his teeth. "Paining. Can you kiss it better?" He gave her a pout that made her want to kiss those lips.

She shook her head as she took him in. Again. Fully. He looked like a thousand dollar mess and other that few scratches on his head and cheek and a broken bone, he looked fine.

He was better than fine judging by that loopy smile on his face. He looked giddy, and different. And so very relaxed.

Must be the pain meds.