8. Lonely nights, ugly tables and job offers

"I sometimes pretend that I am listening to people, when I am actually not hearing anything. But here I am, listening to your silence, everyday, hoping you would break it soon." - Logan

~~~

8. Lonely nights, ugly tables and job offers

(Logan)

The next morning, Logan woke up to the emptiness. Again. The silence clawed on him until he couldn't bear the sound of it. God, the sound of this empty silence was so loud against the lonely looking walls and he hated himself for being weak.

How could he? He wasn't supposed to be.

God, he had lived in the emptiness for so long. He had thrived in it and to be honest, he had enjoyed it. It was the only reprieve he has had amid constant bustle and chaos in his life. With a book and a cup of coffee, with a swim in the pool, he had loved his solitude.

Now, oh so suddenly he didn't like the idea of waking up to an empty house and walking in back to the dark hallways. It twisted his stomach when he thought of going back to that.

What did she do to him? Was she a witch or something? Did she put a spell on him with her misty green-gold eyes?

He rubbed his face with a sigh. He had so much work to do, so much to plan and here he was, again, thinking of her. It had been a bad habit.

She has become his bad habit.

The first phase of Aiden's restaurant had started and he had to oversee so many things and having an angry Alex was such a distraction. She was always at the forefront whatever he did and wherever he was. He didn't like it, but he couldn't avoid it.

At night, she was already in her room before he came back home. He knew she wasn't sleeping. He had even knocked at her door yesterday, feeling like a creep, but she hadn't opened or responded to him.

He sighed and opened the damn refrigerator.

He drank some milk, ate a dry loaf of bread, but after Alex's breakfast, everything else was just so bland. So so ordinary. He hated her for getting him addicted to good food, homemade food and then pulling the rug from under him when he least expected it.

Should have though that before handing her a bunch of stupid papers. Eh? That voice, the same irritating voice added.

He wanted it all back. The smell of butter, the warmth in the kitchen that would tell him she was there before him, making something for him, her lingering smell in the air. But even then, he wouldn't take back the contract.

Oh, God, two days, two terrible days. It had been 48 hours and she was still so stubbornly holding onto her anger. He wanted to punch something.

She sure knows how to twist a man from inside out. Or at least him!

He stared at the ugly table she hated so much and sighed. It's emptiness made it uglier still.

Sometimes, before when they were not fighting, as he ate, he would think of her in the kitchen, working her way around and it would always put a small smile on his grumpy face. Now everything was missing.