30. Rejections and heart breaks

Some love stories are destined to be. Some stories are fated to never be- Alexandra.
~~~

30. Rejections and heart breaks

(Alexandra)

"I love you." She murmured again, her fight leaving her system. Now there was only this urgency to take flight and never turn back.

Tell me something. She thought as she looked up at him.

He stood there, still as a statue as her body shook like the last leaf on a stormy night. It was so cold. Her whole body was so freaking cold, but it was good for her heart. It numbed the pain ripping through it. The cold kept it working.

She hugged herself as if she couldn't bear the mark of his frozen eyes on her body. There was nothing there, nothing she hoped to see --and she knew it would be like this and that was why she never dared to say her feelings out loud.

His eyes were mostly aloof, but then she knew what it meant. He looked away as if seeing her hurt him. Maybe he was feeling sympathetic for her. Maybe it was pity.

And the thought of his pity ambushed her. This was why she didn't -- wouldn't tell him. Because she knew this would come and her world would come crashing down her head.

Rejection. It smelled like burning logs and woods. Burning hopes and dreams. It reeked of despair and desolation. Of disinterest.

Her despair. His disinterest.

Her head was spinning and her eyes were blurry. She wanted to sit down, but she stood in front of him, heart in her eyes as silent tears drifted down her cheeks. She was fast to wipe them away, but he did not see it. He didn't see her anymore.

He was staring somewhere above her head, refusing to look her in the eyes. Coward. He looked guilty and ashamed. But she didn't want guilt. Or shame. Or pity.

She wanted him to love her back. Just love her like a man loved a woman. Not lust, or desire.

She had thought she would be okay with lust, but she was so wrong.

Though he wanted her, desired her, he never loved her. She knew it, didn't she? She was the fool here and God forbid, if Logan Adrian Forte ever made a fool out of himself.

"Wh-what?" He stuttered after a while and Alex couldn't help the chuckle as he scratched at his stubbled chin.

She prayed for strength. Hoped that she would come away from this. She could. She was strong enough.

But not now. Now, she needed time to mourn the definite loss, defined rejection. This wasn't just in her head anymore, now there was no space for hopes and dreams and what ifs.

Now everything was solid and squashed. Everyone of her dreams she dared to dream even amid the hopelessness. Even in the chaos.

"I love you, Logan. Tell me something back. Anything." He stared at her as if she had two heads and four horns.

"I can't, I mean- I don't-" His voice was weak, but she heard it loud and clear.

Get it. He doesn't love you.

She knew that long before he said it, but somewhere deep inside, she had hoped. And she had prayed.