37. Almost ex-wives and very ex-mothers

I wish I can go back in time and tell you every thing you want to hear from me. Or is it too late already? - Logan.
~~~

37. Almost ex-wives and very ex-mothers

(Alexandra)

Alexandra had known that it would be very hard to face Logan, again, after all this, to talk to him like nothing mattered, but it was not as hard as she had imagined. It had been manageable, though the pain still assaulted her.

Yes, it was a bummer that her heart still thrashed when she saw him sitting there, all handsome and grumpy, and it was also very pathetic that she wanted to lean in and kiss against those pouty lips, but she was almost sure she didn't give anything away. She was cool, calm and stoic --she was practically Logan!

It is hard to love you and it is hard not to love you. She thought. She did not know what to do with that.

After she handed him the check for the car--the money she borrowed from Leo, another debt she had to pay back-- she walked out of the long room, that was made of so many glasses that it reflected their failure from every angle.

Alimony. Tch! She thought with a scoff as she stiffly walked down the stairs. The whole place was lavish --they were thriving from the divorces.

It was generous that he wanted to give her alimony and a share of his properties --which wasn't in the contract. But she didn't want any of that now.

She had wanted his money before, only because she thought it would help her to win her father's company back. But now that that case was going exactly in the right direction, she didn't need anything. If she won, she would be rich in her own right, but even if they lose the case, she wouldn't be exactly homeless and hungry. Not again.

She was standing on her own legs, now --and yes, again, all thanks to Logan. But she was growing also because she was extremely good at what she was doing. Now she was earning much better than what she had earned serving tables. So that was that!

She had started working on the Condo of Avery Carlos -- the friend Mathilda had introduced to Alex after she had finished Matilda's mansion-- and Mr. Carlos was liking her job, and so was his daughter. The daughter, Delilah Carlos, was excited with the way Alex's mind works and she had promised Alex that she would give away Alex's business cards to every one of her friends.

And the work was getting much bigger than she could handle by herself these days, that she had hired an assistant after Leo continued to bother her about it. Leo was also pestering her to hire a man, to help her out with all sort of things and she was looking, still and she needed to find the second one soon, because she just got another job lined up to decorate a new art gallery.

Emma's new house was almost done, before all this ensuing mess, and Alex was sure Emma could buy the covers and drapes and a few coffee tables by herself. She had talked with Emma about it on the phone, and Alex knew Emma didn't want to talk about her house, but they had pretended that there was nothing else they needed to talk about.

Alex hadn't still talked with Eliza since that night, not because she was angry, but because she was just so tired. Tired of facing anyone else.

She rather liked living in the solitary confinement of her hotel room, like a hermit crab, holed up in her own cocoon.

After two days of staying in Mathilda's house with Leo, Alex had decided to leave and she had found a room in Hotel LeBauss. And it was a nice hotel, not totally luxurious, but just right for what she was earning. And not creepy with creeps.