Chapter 21

The following day, I began to do my research on 'bee pollination' and how to be a better boyfriend for my Laxus.

I've never dated anyone before, especially someone who is the same gender as me, so I have quite a lot to learn. Plus, if I'm going to keep Laxus happy and hopefully divert him from his plans of taking over the guild, then I need some tricks up my sleeve fast.

My first port of call is my favourite place, the library.

Laxus wanted to go on a job request with me, but ideally I needed to be by myself to keep this as a surprise for his Birthday, but also because this is kinda embarrassing, fortunately though I managed to persuade him to do a job with Bickslow and Evergreen so I should have peace and quiet.

I walk downstairs in the guild and enter the library. Fairy Tail's collection of books is massive; although it mainly consists of magic books, artefacts and documents for the guild, it does feature lots of other book genres, so hopefully they might have what I'm looking for, even if it is one book.

The library is silent, I can only hear my own footsteps as I walk up to one of the desks. Not many people use the library as they are mainly busy completing job requests or drinking at the bar, but I see this as a positive, it gives me sanctuary when I just want to be alone for a while. A huge book is resting on the table and it contains an index of the inventory within the library.

'What term should I be searching for?' I think to myself.

I flick through the pages as I try to think of the right topic for the selection of books I'm looking for.

'Well, common sense would be relationships I guess.' I ponder.

I turn the pages to the letter R and then begin to scan the various words and topics that come under this consonant.

After scanning the page I finally find the word 'relationship'.

"Let's see, advice, divorce, heterosexual... ah. Homosexual... bookcase 4 shelf 8." I mutter to myself.

My face begins to glow red with awkwardness, I know that I'm all alone here, but I still can't shake off the embarrassment of my sexuality. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just that it seems so taboo here in Fiore, I can't just ask someone for advice because they probably don't know anything about those kind of relationships, I think it's quite sad.

I shake my head to rid of those negative thoughts and pat my cheeks a couple of times to try and get myself to concentrate on the mission at hand.

I look up and see the towering bookcases filled with thousands of books. I glance to the left and see the first bookcase out of the corner of my eye, I then count the bookcases to 4, pointing at each one.

"3...4." I say under my breath.

I approach the fourth bookcase and gaze upwards towards the ceiling, realising that the eighth shelf is way to high for me to reach by myself.

I search around the room and find a ladder leaning against the last bookcase. I grab the sides of the ladder and clumsily try to lift it over to the chosen bookcase I want to look through, due to the ladder being ten times the size of me.

I drop it on the ground and rest it against the bookcase, taking a quick breather from that unsuspecting exercise. I put my foot on the first rung of the ladder and continue to ascend it towards the top of the bookcase. Three quarters of the way up and I reach my destination.

I hold onto the sides of the ladder tightly, scared of slipping and falling to the concrete ground. I scan the shelf and find the small section of books I'm looking for. I run my finger along each book spine, observing each title and trying to find the books that are relevant.