Chapter 18

I've not seen Laxus for the last few days, I was worried about him at first, but the way he treated me, it's made me feel depressed and my love for him has smouldered. I've not been on any job requests or even visited the guild for that matter, the only communication I've been receiving is from Master Makarov and even then I feel guilty talking to him due to Laxus' plan, the one I almost ended up going along with; I feel like such an idiot.

I lay in bed, and that's where I've been most of the time since I've had no energy or enthusiasm for anything. I look at the calendar and note that it's the day of the S-Class trial. Partners of S-Class participants are allowed to join them for support but only cheer from the sidelines. If Laxus didn't want me helping him, then he certainly won't want me cheering for him, so I'm just going to be a sloth and lay here for an eternity.

Knock knock.

I don't move, I don't respond.

The door creaks open as Master Makarov enters the room with a plate of toast.

"I thought you might be hungry, considering that you haven't moved much lately." Master says.

"Can you blame me, my best friend has dumped me." I say downheartedly.

"Laxus always goes off on a mood occasionally, he doesn't hate you." Master reassures.

"Maybe not, but he despises you at the moment, have you even tried to apologise?" I question.

"I apologised for having to make the decision, but I didn't say sorry for actually doing it otherwise Ivan would be back in the guild." Master explains.

"Yeah. As long as Ivan is out, Laxus will follow." I sigh.

"What do you mean?" Master questions.

"What do you think? He's trying to get more powerful to impress his dad, on top of that he aims to be more powerful than you to prove that his power isn't hereditary. His self esteem is so low at the moment, no wonder he's upset and yet I didn't help matters at all!" I rant before turning over in my bed with frustration, tears seeping out from my eyes.

"This doesn't sound good at all. Let's get the S-Class trial out of the way first, then I'll have a long word with Laxus to see if we can make things right again." Master says.

"Go for it, but I'm not coming. Laxus has made his position quite clear." I say with a tremble in my voice.

"Freed, stop punishing yourself, I can tell that this is tearing you apart." Master pleads.

"Just leave me alone." I reply, still crying as quietly as possible.

"Fine, but there are some people that want to see you first." Master says before leaving the room.

"Freed?" I hear a familiar voice question.

I turn over in my bed suddenly with my duvet wrapping me up like a spring roll and I see Cana stood in front of me with Bickslow.

"Cana! What are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"Looking for you silly. Master has told us what has been going on." Cana replies.

"So after the way I treated you, you still came to see me?" I question.

"Of course. I'm sorry for acting the way I did, I just felt hurt, but training with Gray has been fun so I'm over it." Cana explains.

"We know that Laxus has been gone a while, but he came back this morning, he looks pretty rough." Bickslow informs.

"I don't care. I say gloomily.