Chapter 7

A couple of weeks after my birthday, I decided that it was time to do a job request. I'm not sure what sort of job I would be good at, but I guess it's worth looking at the board and seeing what's available. I enter the guildhall, greeted by Laxus suddenly hooking his arm around my neck and making me jump.

"Hey Freed!" Laxus says happily.

"Oh... hey. You really shouldn't do that, it gave me a shock." I reply with a sigh of relief.

"Sorry about that, so what are you up to today?" Laxus asks.

"Well, I was thinking of looking for a job request that I could do to earn some money, I can save the money I gain for different things in the future, like a flat." I reply.

"That's a really good idea, I'm sure it'll go really well for you." Laxus says with a smile.

"Huh? Aren't you going to come with me?" I question.

"Well, you haven't invited me, but as much as I would like to, I'm not allowed since I'm not an official member of the guild." Laxus explains.

"B-but... I wanted you to come with me." I say disappointedly.

"Sorry, Gramps would be angry with me if I went on a job request." Laxus says with a sigh.

"Well, let's at least ask him first." I reply as I grab Laxus' hand and drag him with me to see Master Makarov, who was sat at the bar.

"Hello Freed." Master says with a smile.

"Hi Master, I want to inquire about something. I'm planning on taking a job request today, and I would like Laxus to come with me." I explain.

"Sorry Freed, but that's a no." Master replies.

"Told ya." Laxus adds.

"But Master..." I complain.

"No Freed. Laxus isn't an official member of the guild. This rule is to keep him safe." Master replies.

"Yeah... well, why don't you make him a member of the guild then, like do it now." I request.

"I still can't do that Freed." Master replies.

"Wait! That's not fair! You're horrible!" I shout as I turn around and cross my arms whilst pouting.

"Wow, that's the best insult you can come up with?" Laxus chuckles.

"What else would I say?" I ask.

"Well, you've got words like ass-"

"Don't encourage him!" Master says sternly as he whacks the back of Laxus' head.

"Sorry Gramps." Laxus chuckles as he rubs the back of his head.

"Freed, Laxus isn't a wizard or practicing magic, therefore he's not able to be a member of the guild yet." Master explains.

"Fine, I'll go on my own." I sigh.

"You're not allowed to do that either." Master states.

"You are such a... oh!" I grunt with frustration as I struggle to complete my sentence.

Laxus laughs at me as I'm arguing with Master Makarov and I blush slightly with embarrassment. What if Laxus thinks that I'm being childish.

"Freed, there are lots of people in the guild that you could go on a job with, I'm sure if you ask nicely then they'll happily tag along with you." Master explains.

"Yeah... but, I don't know many people in the guild, plus I'd rather go on a job with someone my age." I reply.

"Well, there is someone in the guild that's around your age, he's a year younger than Laxus." Master says.