Chapter 20

Laxus and I left the house early the next morning, so that Laxus and Makarov can have a conversation, hopefully calling it truce on their small arguments based on the back of Ivan leaving the guild.

We enter the guild hall seeing only a handful of people there due to it being fairly early in the morning; considering the amount most of the guild members drink, it's really no surprise that they don't get to to the guild until late in the morning or even midday.

Master Makarov is sat on the bar table and watches us walk over to him.

"Hello boys." Master says.

"Hi Master." I say chipperly.

Laxus says nothing in return and attempts to avoid eye contact with Master Makarov, already, this is making Master frustrated.

"Hmph. Let's go to the back room." Master says with a grumpy tone of voice.

I really don't have high hopes for this meeting, Laxus is already trying to snap the last strand of thread which is keeping the relationship between himself and Master going.

Master stands in front of his desk, whilst I take a seat against the wall and Laxus stands opposite Makarov. I don't really want to interfere, at the end of the day, this is between Laxus and his grandfather, but I will support him and Makarov the best I can.

"You can start Laxus, what's troubling you? I know it's not just because your father isn't in the guild anymore." Makarov states.

Laxus is still silent and looks agitated.

Before Makarov was about to break the silence, Laxus finally speaks up.

"I've always been seen as your grandson, ever since I was young. Because I'm always 'Master Makarov's grandson' I never feel like I get credit for anything I do!" Laxus exclaims.

Master Makarov doesn't respond straight away as he takes in Laxus' words.

"I guess that depends on your point of view, you feel overlooked. But Laxus my boy, is there anyone in the big wide world who really gets the credit they deserve?" Master questions.

Laxus grits his teeth in annoyance, irritated by the fact that in his opinion, Master Makarov isn't understanding him.

I agree with the Master that it's not just Laxus who feels this way, but at the same time I can see that Laxus is having an internal struggle with trying to find his identity, he's feeling overshadowed by Master Makarov and believes that the only way to get out of that shadow, is by becoming Master of Fairy Tail himself.

"The other thing that has been pissing me off..." Laxus says under his breath angrily.

Master Makarov waits for the upcoming storm that Laxus is about to create.

"Don't you have a heart old man? My Dad... Why did you expel him!" Laxus shouts, his voice getting louder as he got to the end of his sentence.

Laxus points accusingly at Master Makarov, sad and angry tears filling his hurt - filled eyes. His teeth are clenched together as his breathing becomes heavier from pure emotion. Laxus is trying to keep his cool, he's trying to follow the advice I gave him, but he's reaching his breaking point.

"Your Dad... Ivan, he brought harm to the guild, Laxus." Master Makarov says calmly, clearly seeing how upset Laxus is.

Laxus is still angry, but he tries to relax and reason with Master Makarov, desperate to reach some kind of compromise and defend his father.

Laxus stands in a stance, feet apart, almost like a dragon preparing to blow it's flames everywhere and cause destruction.

"Yeah, he's done some stupid things, but haven't we all? He's family!" Laxus exclaims.