Chapter 15

Another year passes quickly as me and the Thunder Legion complete lots of jobs together, our bond growing stronger with each passing day. Me and Laxus remain as close as ever; however, as my crush on Laxus has turned more and more into love, Laxus' affection towards me still remains the same, I don't think that I've been forward enough. I did begin to wonder if my age is a bit of a hold back, me being 13 and Laxus turning 16, but I don't think age should matter too much.

I sit in a corner inside the guild hall as all the guild members rush past me with cardboard boxes in hand. I'm glad I didn't come here for peace and quiet; tables made a screeching noise as they were pushed along the wooden floor, chairs banging against the ground as they are being rearranged, the clamour from the guild members. The guild is in chaos, why you may ask? It's Laxus' 16th birthday today, although he didn't want a massive party, the guild didn't care, everyone wanted to celebrate his birthday with a bang since Laxus is heading towards manhood, as Master Makarov says. Colourful decorations are being hung up inside the guild hall and the party is being prepared whilst Laxus is distracted, Bickslow agreed to take Laxus fishing to occupy him. It is true that I would've volunteered to spend the day with Laxus, but I have my own dilemma to solve, I still don't have Laxus' birthday present and I need it now. I sit, staring at my blank notepad, twirling the pen in between my fingers, I don't know what to get him.

Cana strolls past my table, carrying one of the decoration boxes, until she steps back to observe my frustrated face.

"Are you alright there?" Cana asks.

"No. I haven't got a present for Laxus." I complain.

"Oh. Well, do you not have any ideas at all?" Cana questions as she puts the box on the ground and sits next to me.

"No. If I had it my way I would just jump out of a cake and say 'Surprise! I love you!' but he wouldn't appreciate that." I reply downheartedly.

"Yeah... but you are going to confess to him today aren't you?" Cana asks.

Confess? I couldn't possibly do that. My cheeks warm up with a glowing pink as I slide down my chair sheepishly, looking down at my feet.

"Freed! He's not going to know if you don't tell him." Cana says with a sigh.

"And the same goes for you and Gildarts." I reply.

"That's different, I hardly see Gildarts around the guild, you on the other hand, you see Laxus daily. No excuse." Cana states.

"It's so hard though. He's a guy and I'm a guy too, it's not a traditional love story." I moan.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get your man! I've got an idea that might get things rolling." Cana says with a grin.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well, I was reading a magazine and saw an advert for these biscuit sticks coated in chocolate, there was a game idea where you and another person bite each end, you keep chewing the stick until you both reach the middle and your lips touch! You should play that game with Laxus, plus, it's a game everyone can play so no one will get suspicious." Cana explains.

"Y-you mean I-I g-get to k-kiss Laxus!" I stutter as I become flustered at the thought of sharing an intimate moment with the guy I love. My heart beats faster and my face is the colour of a beetroot.

"Yeah, wouldn't that be romantic." Cana says with a smile.

"I don't know if I could." I say shyly.

"Sure you can, I expect you to do it. My second idea is that you can get Laxus something special by finding something he would find practical and engrave it with a special message." Cana suggests.