Chapter 6

I run back to the guildhall as fast as I can, however, when I arrive there, sweating and panting, I check my watch, 3:30pm, I am half an hour late. I try to take a deep breath before facing my impending doom. As soon as I walk through those doors, I am going to be shouted at. I slowly make my way to the guild hall doors and open one cautiously. I look inside and can't see Master Makarov around at first sight. I keep my guard up as I sneak inside, still looking around me, still no sign of Master. Relieved that I am safe, I release a sigh of relief as I begin to walk to one of the empty tables.

"You're late!" Master exclaimed suddenly.

I almost jump out of my skin at the sound of his voice and his hand placed firmly on my shoulder. My heart beat races as I try to slow my heavy breathing down.

"You scared me." I say.

"I'm sorry, but you know that you're late and the fact that I saw Cana earlier without you means that you went somewhere else other than the market. Are you going to be honest with me?" Master interrogates.

I should say that I was with Laxus, but at the same time I know that Master Makarov warned me not to get too involved in the situation at the moment. If I lie though, that will be an even bigger betrayal of trust and that's the last thing I want to do to Master after everything he has done for me.

"I went to Laxus' place. I needed to know that he was okay." I said quietly.

"Freed... I told you about this, I didn't want you going there, how did you even know where Laxus lives?" Master questions.

I have to think for a second, I know that Cana told me, but I don't want to get her into trouble after everything she's done for me...

"I overheard from someone in the guild, I don't know who said it though." I reply.

"Okay. So, what's the news then?" Master asks.

On the surface, Master Makarov doesn't seem that concerned, and that makes me angry, but a part of me is saying that he does care a lot about Laxus. Unfortunately, I can't help it...

"The news? I'll tell you the news! The fact is that I was right to be concerned! Laxus was tested on again yesterday but even before that he was beaten by his dad for standing up and saying that he had enough of being tested on. I saw him, and he was scared, whether he cares to admit it or not. He's not a guinea pig! His father shouldn't be doing this to him!" I shout.

Master Makarov says nothing, voices quieten in the guild hall, and I just realise what I have done. I shouted at the guild master, again. I tried to keep it inside, but I couldn't. It's not fair that Laxus has to put up with this kind of abuse, not from his own father. No wonder Layna looked anxious.

Everyone begins to chat again and things seemingly return to normal, but Master Makarov is staring at me intensely, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want me to stay here anymore.

"I'm sorry. I had to say something. He said that he needed me." I say softly as I hang my head.

Master Makarov still says nothing for a moment, but then...

"Come with me." Master says.

I follow Master Makarov through the guildhall to one of the back rooms. As we enter, he locks the door and we sit on a chair each, facing each other.

"Here's the deal, Freed. If Laxus really wants to see you, then I will allow you to see him at his house or at the guild hall, but just realise that what Ivan wants is what he gets, I can control him the best I can through the guild, but home matters are more difficult. I will contact the higher ups to observe his actions and see how family life is, but I can't guarantee that anything will change." Master explains.