McCree x Reader : Rest

Being a part of Overwatch had its perks. Being able to save people, being able to make a difference in this world, all the while surrounded by other people who wanted the same things as you, it was all so wonderful that when you were given the opportunity, you just couldn't say no.

What wasn't so great about Overwatch was the actual work of it all. Sure, you got to help people and save them from fates often much worse than death, but you tended to overwork yourself and not give yourself a moment to breathe. As such, many of your colleagues began trying to find ways to get you to stop working.

Genji would find you with a cup of coffee, half asleep at your desk and would insist that you take a nap. When you'd refuse, he'd typically take your coffee and leave yourself without a way to sustain energy and you'd pass out on your own, usually on your desk.

Angela would pester you about taking care of yourself, insisting that because you were her closest friend, you had to listen to her. You'd jest back and say you'd just find a new closest friend and she would laugh, tending to forget that her initial mission was to get you to sleep.

Jack would actually not try to stop you from over working, as he often did the same. He would give you extra paperwork to do when you asked for it, but if he could tell you hadn't slept for a while, he would be quick to deny. Even he knew when to stop working and he would try to stop you before you got too exhausted to keep going.

And then there was Jesse. He wouldn't often catching you overworking, and if he did he either ignored what you were doing and told you to keep up the good work. In all honesty, it bothered you that he was so nonchalant about it. Obviously you knew it was bad that you were doing it, but you didn't really have an off switch to stop yourself and relied on other people to help you, so seeing Jesse not care very much at all about your well being made you a bit sad.

Today was your typical after-mission day. Your desk was covered in paperwork and you were already chugging through your fourth cup of coffee. The caffeine seemed to be losing its effect on you and you found yourself fighting to keep your eyes open. The sound of spurs jingling outside of your door alerted you to the presence of the cowboy who had sauntered into your office.

"You good, pumpkin?" He drawled, resting his hand on a stack of papers that was almost eye level with him. "Looks like your got your work cut out for you tonight."

"No different than any other night," you grumbled in annoyance. You would say that you were annoyed over the paperwork if asked, but truth be told it had more to do with the cowboy's reluctance to show you any kind of compassion beyond the pet names he so frequently called you.

"Well," he sighed, taking his hat off of his head to run a hand through his hair. There was a look of hesitance swirling in his chocolate hues, as though he had more he wanted to say but he just didn't know how to phrase it. "Darlin' do you ever think you might be overworking yourself?" He asked, scanning your face quickly to see if what he said would upset you.

"Umm-," you looked at him with wide eyes, shocked that he had finally mentioned something about your tendency to overwork yourself when usually he would ignore it.

"I know it ain't really my place to say but it definitely seems like you do more around here than almost anyone other than Morrison," he cut you off before you could comment on his attentiveness. "I see you every night in here with this paperwork and every night I worry about you. Actually, here's what we're gonna do." Before you could ask what he was talking about, he was at your side, lifting you from your chair.

"J-Jesse!" You huffed shyly, your cheeks garnering a bright red shade. "What are you doing?"

"Asserting my place as your friend to take care of you," he explained as he took two long strides over to the couch across your office. In one swift motion, he pulled the throw blanket from the back of the couch and wrapped it around you, setting you on his lap as he sat on the couch. "Now get some rest, can't have a lady like you gettin hurt in this line of work cause she was too careless to relax."

You wanted to protest, but the thrumming of your heart was too loud for you to focus. Nervously, you laid your head against his chest, clutching the fabric of his serape as though it was your only connection to the physical world. It wasn't long, though, before you were sound asleep against his chest.

As you laid there, Jesse took a moment to admire your features. Your lashes fanned out over your red cheeks, lips slightly parted in almost a pout as you took long, even breaths. Even in your sleep, you held tightly to his serape and his heart swelled at the sight. In that moment, he decided he wouldn't hold his tongue anymore and when you needed rest, by word he'd be the one to force you to sleep.