Reaper x Anxious!Reader : Panicked

I'm sorry if Gabriel comes off as a little mean in this, I was trying to make it how he would genuinely handle the situation of an anxious reader.

Requested by : Dawnheart_199

Gabriel had been your boyfriend for almost a month. Since you two were both members of Overwatch and that was how you met, you never had time to get out on a real date. He had told you from day one how much he had wanted to, but the opportunity never arose what with all your missions and such.

It had been a particularly slow week and thus, Jack Morrison decided that you and Gabriel could take a couple of days off since there was no sense in hanging around the base for no reason. Of course, this made Gabriel ecstatic because he would finally be able to take you on a proper date, but you were internally freaking out, trying to think of any reason at all that you could skip out on this outing.

You see, you really weren't one for socializing. Neither was Gabriel, that was what drew him to you in the first place. But where Gabriel hated people, you actually didn't mind them. They just made you nervous and often on any outings you would get paranoid and worried of what people thought of you. You never had the nerve to fess up to your boyfriend about it, so there you were, stuck walking through crowded streets to a fancy restaurant.

Clinging to Gabriel's sleeve for dear life, you weaved your way in and out of, around and about the crowd, trying not to get lost or caught up in your anxiety ridden thoughts. When you finally arrived, there was a line that stretched out the door. Luckily, Gabriel had made reservations so the two of you got the honor of walking passed all the people waiting in line.

However for you it was not really an honor. People were staring at you and your eyes could've sworn they were glaring. There was a small voice in the back of your head, getting louder and louder until it was yelling at you. They're staring at you! It's because you look like absolute garbage! The voice berated you and you gripped Gabriel's hand tighter, trying to block it out as you squeezed your eyes shut. That girl over there is questioning why Gabriel would ever want someone like you, someone as ugly as yo-!

"(Y/N)!" Gabriel growled into your ear, effectively setting you free from the clutches of your own mind. "Walk, would you?" He tugged your hand and started your feet moving again. You didn't even know they had stopped. Once at the table, you grabbed your menu and buried your nose in it as a way to block out the faces of everyone around you. If you can't see them, your brain can't point out that they're looking at you.

"Menu, down," your boyfriend reached across the table and pulled down your menu so it was laying flat on the table while you looked at it. "It's rude to have something covering your face on a date." He deadpanned and you nodded slightly, your spirits falling as your momentary sanctum was destroyed. As you had finally decided on what you wanted to eat, a waitress came over to take the order.

"And for you, miss?" She addressed you and panic settled into your heart. You didn't even know Gabriel had ordered. You pointed at what you wanted on the menu and began trying to tell her. Unable to even get the first word out, anxiety consumed your being. A tightness settled into your chest and your palms got clammy. The world seemed to be closing in around you when suddenly Gabriel spoke.

"She wants the Focaccia Bread," he took the menu from under your hand and stacked it on his own before handing it back to the waitress. "Would you like to tell me what the hell that was all about? You couldn't even speak! I bet if someone had've asked you your name right then you wouldn't have been able to tell them."

"I-I'm sorry," you muttered softly. "I-I get really a-anxious in social sit-situations. I-I should've warned you b-before we came out tonight, but, but I just wanted th-things to be perfect for you." A sigh escaped the lips of the man across from you.

"Damn right you should have just told me. Then I could've helped," he reached over the table and placed his hand on yours. Your eyes widened a bit before softening as a smile crested your features. This man truly cared for you.