Merman!Hanzo x Reader : Happy Place

Requested by : SkylerNightwolf

In a world so fraught with mystery, it was no wonder that you were often concerning yourself with mythical ideas. Most common of those was the concept of mermaids and mermen. As a child, you would visit the beach quite often with your parents and it became the one place in the world you felt safe.

As you grew, you continued to visit the beach at least once a month until your parents moved you away in your teen years. You were mad to say the least, mad that they had stripped you of the one thing that provided you comfort. A few years passed and the beach became a lost thought, something that you no longer considered much. You had too much going on to make trips there anyway.

Yet still, you doodled mermen in your school books.

You aged into adulthood faster than you would've liked, but once you were there, going back was not an option. You found things to occupy your time like work and learning to cook. Seafood was your favorite. As you were cooking a salmon, your phone rang from the other room. You were quick to answer it, as you had been expecting a call regarding a promotion at your job.

"Hey," a soft voice rang on the other end. It was Penelope, one of the girls who you worked with. "My boyfriend and I are going to the beach later tonight and I thought you might like to come. I know you don't get to go out very much with how many hours you work. And you won't be third wheeling! My boyfriend has a friend he's bringing too."

The idea revolted you. The beach was somewhere you hadn't been in countless years and the thought of your friend skinny dipping with her boyfriend was enough to turn you away. What made it worse, however, was the fact that they were trying to set you up with someone.

"I think I'll pass," you grumbled softly, heading back into the kitchen to finish your salmon. Penelope gave you a sad goodbye and once again, you were along with your thoughts.

The beach, you let your brain wander for a moment. I haven't been in years. You sighed, eating your food as thoughts overwhelmed you. At the end of it all, you decided you would go to the beach. It was a long drive, but the voice in your mind whispering about mermen made you think it was worth it.

As you arrived, the familiar smell of the sea whisked over you and the taste of salt in the air hit your tongue. The sound of waves crashing over an empty beach was almost enough to lull you into the waves, but you relented. You weren't here to swim, you were just here to rekindle your love for the beach.

The sun was near setting as you walked along the beach and you briefly wondered if maybe you should return home before it got any darker. You shook the thought from your head, persisting.

It wasn't long until you stumbled upon a cove. You weren't sure how long you had been walking but the sun was only half peeking the horizon now and your legs felt weak with exhaustion. Deciding this would be as good a place as any, you stripping yourself of your socks and shoes and rolled up the legs of your pants. The waves here were stronger than the rest of the beach, so you were wary as you took a couple hesitant steps into the water.

The feeling of the icy water on your legs was intoxicating and before you could even stop yourself. You were wading deeper and deeper into the water. You would curse yourself later for not wearing a swimsuit but now wasn't the time. You swam out until your feet could no longer touch the sand and there you relaxed. Closing your eyes, you breathed in the sea and all the things you remembered loving as a child.

The feeling of something wrapping around your foot was lost on you until you were suddenly jerked under the surface of the water. You gasped as a reaction, your lungs burning as they filled with water. Quickly shutting your mouth, you swam upwards as hard as you could, fighting desperately against whatever had its hold on you. Just as you felt your oxygen start to run out, a pair of arms wrapped around your waist and pulled you to the surface.