McCree x Blind!Reader : Comfort

Requested by : @Shiranightwolf

The soft creak of a door made your ears perk. The sound of footsteps coming towards you wordlessly made your hair stand on end as your heartbeat began to speed up. You could faintly hear the jingle of spurs but that could be damn near anyone around here.

"H-hello?" You sputtered softly, almost wishing the person wouldn't hear you. The footsteps paused before you heard a sigh.

"I was hopin' you'd already be asleep," Jesse drawled softly. You heard the flick of a light switch and realized you must've been sitting with the lights off, not that you would know the difference.

You were born blind, a curse on your existence since day one. They always said that being blind would make the world tougher for you than almost anyone else, but you made do and even managed to get into the Overwatch Special Ops team as a spy who could sneak into locations, record any and all audio, and sneak back out without ever even being suspected.

That's how you met Jesse McCree, the man who vowed to protect you and love you from the day he met you. You had been with him for nearly six years, even through the fall out of the team you both knew and loved.

"You know I can't sleep when you aren't home," you whispered meekly. It wasn't something you told him often, though he knew it regardless, but you didn't like to sleep unless someone was there to keep you safe. You had no real ability to fight and even if the sound of someone breaking in woke you up, you'd be powerless to fight them or even hide.

"I know, I know," you could hear Jesse's smile. It made him happy knowing that you trusted him with your life, so much that you couldn't even sleep when he wasn't home. "Scoot over." He pushed you lightly to the side as he took a seat with you in the love seat.

He put one leg behind you, the other to the side of you, before wrapping both arms around your shoulders and pulling you tightly against him. Taking a deep breath, he sighed and once again you sense the grin he sported.

"It's always nice to come home to my lovely lady, y'know that?" A soft giggle escaped your lips as you turned slightly in his arms and cuddled up against his chest. "S'pecially when she's as gorgeous and wonderful as you."

It's true, you may never know what yourself or Jesse looked like, but looks didn't matter to you. Jesse was your caretaker, your protector and he would always be there for you. Physical attraction is unimportant when the emotional connection was already formed and stronger than ever.

"Oh hell," Jesse muttered softly. "I'm such an idiot, I almost forgot the whole reason Angela called me today." He slowly removed himself from you and moved across the room, rustling momentarily with a bag before making his way back to you.

"Now, this is just a prototype of what they've been workin' on for ya, but the doc says she's sure it'll help at least a bit," Jesse cupped your cheek softly and before you could ask what he was talking about, you felt him slide a pair of glasses onto your face. He reached behind your ear and flicked some sort of button on the frames and all of a sudden, the world wasn't so dark anymore.

Colors and shapes began to form in front of your eyes and suddenly, you could see. Albeit, it wasn't perfect, nothing was very clear but that didn't matter to you. For once in your life, you weren't encased in pure darkness.

Tears slowly slid down your cheeks and you looked at all the colors, wishing to know their names and wishing to know the names of the shapes you saw. The world was a book that you hadn't even gotten to experience half of due to your disability.

"Jesse," you spoke quietly, afraid that being too loud would scare away the dream you were living in. "Thank you so much."

"Anything for you, darlin'," he planted a soft kiss on your lips as he wiped a few strays tears away.

The two of you spent the rest of the night talking about all the things you could see. You would point to some of the various colors you could see and ask what their names were, then repeat the process with all the shapes.

Jesse could tell just by the way you were asking questions that you couldn't see perfectly clearly and knew that with Angela's help, he would see to it that his perfect angel would see the world just as he did someday.