Genji x Reader : Illusions

Requested by : None

"You look lovely," Genji smiled down at you, his arms around your waist as the two of you swayed to the music that filled the dance hall. It was a rare treat that you would go out dancing and it was undeniably enjoyable.

"You don't look too bad yourself," you gave him a small wink, a light blush dusting your cheeks. Leaning forward, you rested your head against his chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. In that moment, all was calm. There was no threat of omnics, no war against Overwatch, nothing but the two of you alone, together and enjoying each other's company.

It had been a long time since that day you spent with him up in Nepal. The freedom of it all was invigorating and you swear you had never been happier than that one day. Since then, Overwatch had reformed and the man you had fallen so deeply in love with was running missions every day. There was always a threat of never seeing him again or him never seeing you again as you went on your own missions too. Neither of you dared talk about the possibility of not seeing each other though, the thought too scary for either of you.

Two weeks had passed since Genji went on a mission with Jack Morrison and honestly, you were starting to get worried that he wasn't going to come back. A cold sweat ran down your back at the thought and you quickly shook it away. He was going to come back. He had to.

"(L/N)!" A shout from behind you drew you from your thoughts and you turned to see Angela Ziegler, papers in hand as she rushed up to you. She had a solemn look on her face and that ache in your chest began to deepen.

"It's Genji."

Genji had returned from his mission alive. That was as far as the good news went. During the mission, Genji had fallen from a rather fall height while he was sparring with an enemy and it sent him tumbling through the roof of a building. He cracked his skull on the fall and there was a possibility that he would never wake up.

With tears in your eyes, you sat at his side, taking his flesh hand in your own as you tried to keep the negative thoughts from clouding your mind. One deep breath, two deep breaths, three deep breaths. Slowly, you managed to calm yourself down despite the tears flowing from your eyes. A slow breath escaped your lips as you gently ran your fingertips down his face, soaking in the details of his eyes and nose, all the way to his lips before you stood and headed from the room. Being around him was only going to make this harder for you.

Weeks passed and with those weeks, so did the hope that you held for Genji waking up. Angela encouraged you to keep your spirits high, but it was getting harder the more time that passed. You would visit his room every day, hoping for some sign that he was going to be okay, only to be painfully disappointed when nothing changed.

Finally, you had enough of looking at his unchanging features. With a heavy heart, you found yourself remembering the day that you had ballroom danced with Genji for the first time. Taking a box off the shelf in your room, you pulled out something similar to a virtual reality headset. Winston had made it for you a number of years ago as a Christmas gift but neither of you ever thought that you would use it for a reason like this.

The headset was rigged to read your brainwaves, and though it seemed relatively unsafe, somehow Winston had made it work. Placing the gear on, you thought about that night, the way his arms felt around you and just the overall peace that you felt. Slowly, as you opened your eyes in the headset, you found him standing in front of you, that familiar smile enough to make you weak in the knees. Tears started to stream from your eyes but you ignored them, reaching out and attempting to touch the Genji in front of you. You cursed yourself, remembering it was only an illusion.

And so you spent your night dancing with an illusion of a love you missed greatly.