Chapter 13 : Confusing Proximity

Start from the beginning

"I am not shy." She knew she was lying.

"You don't lie well." He remarked.

"Shivaay, you brought me here to discuss something." She reminded him. Shivaay nodded noticing that she was changing the topic. "About the sexy show this morning!" He teased looking squarely into her eyes. Her eyes widened and her cheeks flushed. He chuckled, "there I prove my point." He said pointing to her cheeks. Anika lowered her gaze. She hated how his remarks got her all tongue-tied and shy. 

"Hey!" His voice was soft. He got off the table and walked closer to her. He placed his index finger at the top of her chin making her look up. "I am going to tease you a lot. So, you better get used to it and come up with your Anika style retorts. Just the way you give Rudra. And if I make you uncomfortable then you can always tell me on the face to stop."

She smiled nodding. "What do you want to say?" He asked her carefully observing the restlessness in her eyes. "Nothing!" She mumbled. She desperately wanted to be honest and tell him the way she felt. But perhaps it was too early in their relationship to tell him how she felt. How weirdly powerless she was rendered before him. The smart, witty, confident, outspoken Anika totally became a shy, tongue-tied, nervous mess before him. That was one thing she didn't like- she became a totally different person, the kind she didn't like before him. 

"Okay so coming to what I actually had to say.. do you want a pre-wed photoshoot?" He asked indicating her to sit. She sat and wondered what was the answer he was expecting. 

"Anika, I want your answer." He spoke as though sensing her hesitation.

"I think it's a sheer waste of money on a pointless thing!" Anika answered on one go and his lips curved up. He had seen this coming. He smiled, "I find it a little immature idea. I mean it might be you know - fun and look good. But wearing clothes and posing for that one Bollywood or Hollywood-like picture is like going overboard to me."

"Exactly! Natural candid pictures are any day better!" Anika agreed. He smiled, "finally we agree on something!" Anika giggled in response. 

"Next thing. So I have short-listed a few resorts around Goa for the wedding venue. We need to visit and check them. So when are you ready to leave?"

"What? I mean..do we have to..I mean of course we have to but..do we both have to go? I mean..I wouldn't mind whatever you pick." Anika tried to make her words into a perfect sentence. 

"Well, mom gave me the duty. I thought we both could finalize."

"Oh, okay. Umm, you want me to come?"

"Hey, it's not just my marriage. It's your marriage too. So obviously you have to come. You can't get away by making me do all the hard work." 

Anika grinned. "Okay okay. When do we leave?"

"Tomorrow sounds cool? If you shortlist the resorts based on your judgment then a day will be sufficient for us to finalize and come back. Although I wouldn't mind a two-day trip. It would be nice hanging around together." He gave Anika his bright smile.

"Umm, if you promise to try water sports with me then two days. Otherwise one day trip." 

"Okay, Madam. Two-day trip it is. But all the watersport research is up to you."

Anika looked at her watch. "Okay cool. I will browse and book tonight. You set up the itinerary for the first day. I will book the tickets and you book the hotel. By tonight we will finalize the plan!"

"Woah. That's pretty fast." Shivaay chuckled. "And don't mention water sports to mumma. She will go crazy about how I might catch a cold or break my bones...and disrupt the entire wedding scene."