Chapter 34 - You Cheated

Chapter 34

"Stella! It's so good to see you!" My mom shouted once she saw my face on the other side of the door. She pulled me into her arms.

I hugged her tightly, "I missed you mom."

She let go of me and wiped her hands on her jeans from the melted snow that got on her hands from my coat.

"Come in, it's freezing out here!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.

When people say Chicago is the 'Windy City' they truly mean it. It's always so terribly cold in the winters here at home. The snows falls almost everyday. Some days it's a snowstorm and somedays it's just little beautiful snowflakes slowly falling from the sky. Today, it was snowing a lot and I wanted to get out of it.

I walked into my childhood home and took off my puffy winter coat. I looked around and nothing has changed. I always thought my mom would want to move out of this house. I mean it was the house my father almost killed me in. I guess the good memories here ruled out all the bad ones for her. I pulled off my snow boots and ran into the living room flopping down on to the couch.

"I missed this couch!" I cried.

My mom laughed, "And I'm sure it missed you."

I laughed and sat up, "So is Nick home?"

My mom searched through the cabinets for a pan, "Yeah, he's in his old room sleeping. He was up late studying."

My head snapped up at her, "Studying? What? Studying for what?"

"Oh crap!" She shut her eyes and slapped her hand to her forehead, "I wasn't suppose to tell you."

"Tell me what?" I shot up from the couch, curious.

"Well, I might as well tell you. Nick is back in college. He started about a month ago"

"Oh my god are you serious?" I shouted happily.

I bolted up to the stairs and ran up skipping a step every once and a while. I burst through the door of Nick's old bedroom and saw him fast asleep on his bed. I pounced on him and began bouncing up and down as I shook him awake.

"Nick! Nick wake up!"

He groaned and rolled over, "What the?" His eyes peaked open, "Stella what the hell?"

I laughed and hugged him, "Nick, I'm so proud of you!"

Nick sat up with me still attached to him, "What are you talking about?" He said groggily.

"You're back in school!" I looked at him with my chocolate brown eyes.

"Dammit, mom told you! I wanted it to be a surprise!"

I hugged him tighter, "I'm so happy for you!"

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me to hug me back, "Thanks Stel-bell." I haven't heard him call me that since we were kids.

I let go of him, "So what are you majoring in?" I smiled widely.

"Uh, engineering." He scratched the back of his neck.

I clapped my hands together, "Yay! You're good at math!"

Nick laughed, "I know. Now, come on let's go downstairs. I smell pancakes."

"Race you down." I arched my eyebrows at him.

"I'm gonna win." He said and then bolted out the door with me close behind.

We rounded the corner and started stomping down the stairs, pushing each other as we went down. I reached the bottom first but Nick managed to get in front of me. As I caught up, Nick quickly opened the bathroom door so I had to stop in front of it.