52

Jonathan

After opening day for the restaurant, life came at us pretty fast. Even though Rachel is the owner and doesn't have to be at the restaurant she always is. All of the time. She has managers and chefs and janitors and all that good stuff, the place is very well taken care of. Technically she doesn't have to be anywhere around the restaurant because it was so well staffed, she had people taking care of everything she needed. But this was her baby and she wanted to talk to everyone who came through and see what they thought. She learned the names of the families and told stories of each dish and why she put it on the menu. She loved being at the restaurant helping out in the kitchen and playing with the kids. She is a wonderful business woman and I was so proud of her.

And today was her 21st birthday so we made a bunch of plans. She was finally going to drink at the bars tonight and hang out with her friends she's made along the way. There was plenty of people wanting to see what she is like drunk and I am one of them. But before we get to the drinking festivities I get her all to myself. She isn't big into celebrating her birthday, she's never had a birthday party before so throwing a surprise party could have been more of a problem than anything. So she knows that we're celebrating with friends and family later. The surprise part comes now.

So I roll out of bed really fucking early because even on her birthday she will go on her run. I go to Jeremys house where Rachel's birthday present was waiting for me.

"How has the little angel been" I ask Tracy as I bend down to pet the puppy. I knew Rachel had a thing for German Sheppards so I got her a mix with that and a golden retriever.

"She's been an angel

"She's been an angel. I don't know how Brandi and Brett are going to feel about her being gone now. They love her" she admits.

"I'm sure Rachel will have her at the restaurant and you guys can visit her any time" I promise.

"I might have to get a dog of our own at this point" she teases.

"It wouldn't be the worst thing" I smile as I pick Dixie up. I hold her in my arms as she tries her darnest to lick my face.

"Where are you planning on keeping all these dogs" she wonders.

"We actually talked about getting a place to stay, a house" I explain.

She raises her eyebrow at me as she crosses her arms over her chest. "That's a big deal" she says.

"Yeah, it is" I agree.

"And how does that make you feel" she wonders.

"Honestly, I'm ready for it. I'm kind of excited. Chicago was never meant to be home to me, but now I have this city and this family and all these dogs. A house just feels like what's right" I explain.

"You're a good kid Jonny" she claims.

"I try" I laugh.

So I grab the puppy and head back to the apartment. I go in and find Rachel getting ready for her run and I stop in the doorway. The dogs we at the door going crazy as I try my best to calm them down.

"Jonny, is that you" Rachel asks.

"Me and a guest" I announce.

She comes around the corner and stops when she sees the puppy in my arms. She nearly drops her phone as she jumps up and over to where I was standing. She takes the dog out of my arms and holds her up.

"Who is this" she squeals in her puppy voice.

"This beautiful lady is Dixie. She is half Lab half German Shepard and fully ready to be a part of the family" I explain.

"She's perfect" she coos.

"It's not much of a birthday present because you already knew you were getting a dog" I admit.

"But I didn't know she would be this adorable" she claims.

"Please" I scoff, "I could have brought you any dog and you would have loved it" I insist.

"Very true. But Miss Dixie is perfect and I love her. And I love you" she says as she sets the dog down.

She pulls me into a kiss and I happily kiss her back. My hands grip her waist tight as she pushes her body against mine. "Maybe you can put your run off until later" I whisper in her ear.

"You know I can't do that" she whispers back and I roll my eyes. She was as superstitious with her runs as hockey players are with their rituals.

So I let her run and I decide to go by the restaurant to help decorate for her party later. Not a lot of 21 year olds celebrate their birthday in a business they started themselves but Rachel wasn't like anyone else. We put up a banner and streamers and a bunch of other stuff for her 21st birthday. This was the last big birthday for a while so I wanted it to be special. Plus she's never had a birthday party before so I want everything to be perfect, just for her.

After a while I head home where the apartment was becoming a zoo. The dogs were already a handful as is and now we got a little puppy tearing things up. It was obvious we needed a house and we needed one fast.

It finally comes time to head to the restaurant to celebrate the best person I know and I couldn't wait. We meet up with everyone and get the party started a little early. I buy Rachel some drinks and she happily downs them. She hated the beer but loved the martinis so she drinks a few of those too. Not too long after the party started she was drunk and loving life.

"Man... I should have been drinking this whole time" she slurs as she leans against me. I rest her head on my shoulder as I hold her up.

"You did what a lot of people couldn't. And now you can drink until you break some rules" I assure her.

"What if I want to leave my own party" she hiccups.

I turn and look at her as I cup her cheek. "You don't like it" I ask somberly.

"I love it Jonny. I love the food and the drinks and my friends. I love that for the first time in my life the weight of the world is off my chest and I can just breathe.

But if we're being honest, I want to run away for a little with you and just get away from it all" she admits.

"I think I can make that happen" I promise her.

So I grab my hand and we go for a run. Eventually we come to a stop by a little park and we sit on a bench. She sits on my lap as I wrap my arms around her. She had the biggest smile on her face as she looked out over the city.

"I wish I could just slow time down so I can be in this moment with you forever" she says softly.

"Why this one" I wonder. It wasn't very special if you ask me.

"Because it's just you and me. No hockey no restaurant and no famous relatives. This city is amazing but my favorite place to be is in your arms" she claims.

I softly kiss her cheek as she grabs me back.

"Happy birthday baby girl" I smile.