Phase 1

One week prior to the Battle Against HYDRA

A helicopter flew over a barren desert. Endless sand and dunes as far as the eyes could see. Well, one eye in particular. Fury leaned back in his seat, watching the desert fly by.

"Director Fury" The pilot upfront looked back "We're approaching the base"

"Thank you Daniel" Fury nodding in appreciation. The flight continued when The chopper flew over a sandhill and revealed a massive SHIELD base in the middle of a barren desert. The helicopter landed in a designated spot. Fury exited the aircraft alongside Agent Maria Hill. Observing the area around him, the colonel was pleased to see the various members and agents of shield hard at work, going about their assignments.

He then turned to see one of his closest and most trusted confidants, Agent Coulson, standing just 3 yards away from the landing zone.

"How bad is it?" Fury immediately asked

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know" Coulson answered. The trio began walking towards the inside of the facility.

"We've ordered an immediate evacuation of the place." Coulson said as Hundreds of technicians and other staff running around, taking only the essentials.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hour ago."

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase" Fury said

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement" Coulson stated.

"It just turned itself on?" Hill asked, in total confusion

"What are the energy levels now?" Nick asked

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac" Coulson answered

"How long to get everyone out?" Fury said

"Campus should be clear in about half an hour" Coulson said. "See if you could do better" Fury said. Coulson departed from the two as Mari and Nick continued to travel further into the compound.

"See if you could do better." Fury said. Coulson departed from the two as Mari and Nick continued to travel further into the compound.

"Sir. Evacuation may be futile." Hill warned.

"And what are your other options?" Fury said not stopping. "Have them lay down and sleep.

"If we can't control the tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance." Hill said not giving on her argument.

"I need you to make sure that all Phase 1 prototypes of project counter shipped out of here." Fury said.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?"

Nick Fury rounded at her on the staircase. "Until time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 1 on a truck and gone."

"Maria Hill sighed in defeat. "Yes, sir."

Fury trudged on through the facility, passing and weaving through the evacuating personnel. Fury enters the lab facility where the Tesseract is being held by a Compact Muon Solenoid Coil Chamber.

"Talk to me, doctor?" Fury said without breaking his stride. Dr.Erik Selvig emerges from behind the CMS machine cornered. The tesseract is glowing unusually brighter and flares ringed shoot out at random directions.

"Director." Selvig greeted.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asked.

"The tesseract is misbehaving." Erik answered wryly.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" Fury asked seriously.

"No, it's not funny at all. The tesseract is not only active she's...... Misbehaving." Erik said lamely.

"How soon until you pull the plug?"

"She's an energy source." Erik explained. "If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. Ic she reaches peak level..." Erik didn't want to finish that last part.

"We've prepared for this doctor." Fury said sternly. "Harnessing energy from space."

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, and Radiation." Erik countered checking the data from his datapad. "Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation."

Fury look at Erik, knowing the irony in the doctor's words. "That can be harmful."

"Where's Barton?"

"The hawk?" Erik gestured his head behind him. "Up in his nest as usual."

Agent Clint Barton A.K.A Hawkeye is up in the railing observing the NASA scientist at work and cosmic cube with very analytical eyes.

"Agent Baron report" Director Fury asked him

Clint grabs a rope and rappels down to Fury. They both begin walking around the facility in a discreet manner.

"I gave you this mission so you could keep a close eye on things."

"Well you know I see better from a distance." Clint stated

"Are you seeing anything that can set the thing off?" Fury asked

"Doctor it's spiking again." A NASA scientist said. Erik immediately ran in the console looking over the readings.

"No one's come or gone. Its oven is clean. No contacts. No IM's. If there was any tampering sir. then it wasn't at this end." Clint concluded.

"At this end?" Fury said sharply not sure what Hawkeye was getting at.

"Yeah, the cube is a doorway to the other end of space. Right." Clint said casually.

Selvig was clacking away at the keyboard with all his might. Suddenly the tesseract thunders and shakes the entire facility. The quake was so powerful, that everyone even from outside felt it, including Maria and Coulson who were on the opposite ends of the facility.

The cubes flares grew more violent and erratic, occasional burst making it seems like a boiling pot filled with water. The tesseract then forms a beam that fires towards the other end of the lab. The great maelstrom fires the tesseract energy, which forms a large black vortex. The vortex forms in what appears to be a black hole.

The black hole displayed, the blackness of space, hundreds upon hundreds of stars and galaxies could be seen. The blue energy swept through the lab, knocking everyone back and blinding them all temporarily.

The energy of the tesseract forms at the ceiling of the domed lab. The room becomes absurdly quiet. not a sound, or movement heard. Then everyone heard, heavy labored breathing coming from the platform. The guards recovered, standing up in a diamond formation, weapons at ready.

There on the platform. a lone figure was kneeling, a golden scepter in his right hand. The man looked up showing a maniacal grin, filled with danger and mischief. Loki has arrived.