31 - Hot and Bothered

I smiled when I entered the gym and saw Paul leaning over the reception desk. I appreciated the curve of his oh-so-perfect ass as he bent over the edge with his ear glued to the phone. "Yeah, I know, Laura... I really hope so, too. Well, if you can't, then call me. You know I can come over and help you out. Yeah...of course I will. Yeah? Me too ...Okay...talk to you later."

I stood behind him, listening to his side of the conversation. I watched as he returned the phone to its cradle and took in a deep breath. I gently gripped his hip and he whirled around quickly. I gasped when I saw his fist balled up, ready to punch. I held my hands up defensively. "Paul..."

The color drained out of his face when he realized it was me. "Oh baby, I'm so sorry," he gushed as he reached for the back of my neck and yanked me close to him.

I stood there stiffly, still not sure why he had reacted to me that way. He wrapped one arm around my waist while the other hand stayed firmly on the back of my neck, holding me against his chest. "I'm not letting you go until you hug me back," he teased.

His tone was softer now and his arms were comforting me so I relaxed into his embrace. He stroked the back of my head and pressed kisses to my neck. "I'm sorry I'm so jumpy. Do you forgive me?"

I nodded with my face still pressed to his chest. "What's wrong?" I asked as I pulled back to seek his face.

Paul sighed deeply. "That was Jared's mom on the phone. He's been acting weird. She's says he's barely been home the last two weeks. And I know I haven't seen him for at least that long."

I smiled up at him. "We haven't hardly seen anyone for the last two weeks," I reminded him. It was true. Ever since the night I tied him up, we had spent nearly every moment together. If I was at the diner and he wasn't working, he would hang out until I got done. And I had been spending my free time here at the gym just so we could see each other more. I only had five days left before I had to go back to Seattle and we were making the most of it.

Paul wrapped an arm around my shoulder and guided me to the boxing gym. He began picking up towels and tossing them into a rolling cart as we talked. "I've been by his house and I've been calling, but he's never around."

"So is he missing?"

Paul shook his head. "His mom says no. He comes around when she's gone or just comes home to sleep. When she tries to talk to him, he just takes off."

"Drugs?"

"I hope not. She did say something weird though...she said she had seen him with Sam Uley."

I furrowed my brow. "That is weird."

I followed him around as he picked up more towels. "You know...Embry said that Sam had taken off for a few weeks and when he came back, he was acting totally different."