17 - Discovering

We were both shaken from our happy, blissful state by a loud rapping on the drivers side window

We were both shaken from our happy, blissful state by a loud rapping on the drivers side window. "Are you coming to work today or what?"

Paul laughed as he rolled the window down. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Be there soon."

I shifted to look at the man speaking to Paul. He smiled at me and nodded to Paul. "You must be Rachel."

Paul groaned when I opened the door and slid out of his lap. "And you must be...Manny?" I asked, as he helped me down.

"Very good," he replied with a smile on his face. He held my hand in his and shook it gently. That was a big contrast to his hulking frame. He was huge, broad shoulders and tall. His skin was dark and his features rugged. His hairline was beginning to recede a little, but he still had a silky black mane carefully braided and hanging down his back. You could tell he was very handsome at one time, but time and the sun had left him with crinkles around his eyes and mouth. He had that same cocky swagger that Paul had and I wondered if this was who he had learned it from. "Paul didn't tell me you would be in town for the holiday. It's really nice to meet you."

Paul approached us with a scowl on his face, pulling my hand from his. "Okay, old man. You had your shot. I'm not in the habit of sharing."

"Paul!" I scolded. I had never seen Paul act so possessive, but honestly it didn't bother me.

Manny crossed his arms over his chest, showing off his biceps proudly. "I'm used to him by now," Manny grinned at me and then added, "Can I interest you in a tour?"

"I should really get going. My sister is expecting me for brunch."

"Well come back anytime. And let Paul show you around. He practically runs the place after all," Manny beamed proudly. Paul seemed to enjoy the compliment and the whole interaction between them made me happy that Paul had a positive male figure in his life.

"Thanks. I sure will try to stop by soon. I'd like to see what Paul has been up to."

"Mostly no good," he chuckled. "But he's a hard worker, so we'll keep him. Nice to meet you, Rachel. I'll see you inside, Paul." He nodded to both of us and strode back into the gym.

Paul wrapped me up in a huge hug and kissed me softly. He handed me his keys and smiled. "I'm trusting you with Francine okay? Make sure she gets back in one piece."

I smiled back at him. "You told me her name."

"Oh yeah. I forgot that was a secret," he admitted, his smile still present.

"Francine, huh? Old girlfriend?"

"Not hardly." He laughed a little. "No dating, no girlfriends."

"Hey, Lahote! You coming to the party tonight?" A young muscular guy approached us and smiled. "Hi, I'm Josh."

"I'm Rachel, I'm Paul's...girlfriend," I announced bravely. I glanced at Paul to gauge his reaction. I don't think I had ever seen his smile beam brighter than it did just then. When Josh reached for my hand, Paul pulled me close and shook his hand instead.