11 - Leaving

"Dude, there was no way that waitress was hitting on you. Keep dreaming," Embry teased as Quil scowled.

"No way! She was into me, Embry," Quil retorted.

Paul laughed as their exchange and I felt his hand clasp around mine. "You know I gotta love you in order to put up with these two," he sighed.

I glanced at him and smiled. Love me? He must be kidding. I gasped when he pulled me in front of him, wrapped his arms around my waist, and rested his chin on my shoulder. "I don't wanna leave you," he whispered.

As we walked back to my apartment building, I felt it too. This day was almost over and then I had to say goodbye to Paul for God knows how long. I took them to a nearby sandwich shop so I could reward them for all their hard work, but I would've done anything to get them to stay a little longer.

Now standing in front of the Suburban, there's no more stalling. I know Paul has a long drive ahead of him and it's not fair of me to prolong this goodbye any longer. "I guess you guys need to head out soon?"

Paul leaned against the driver side door and nodded. "Yeah."

I gave Quil and Embry hugs, thanking them for all their help. They beamed proudly and I felt lucky that my brother has these two fiercely loyal friends in his life. Jacob gave me a scowl, silently asking me not to embarrass him in front of his friends.

Of course, I ignored his silent plea. I yanked on his shirt and said, "I loved being home with you this summer. I've missed you," my voice cracked. "I hope you can forgive me for deserting you all those years ago. I never meant to hurt you. I love you, Jacob."

He blinked back tears as he pulled me into a tight hug. "I love you too, Rach," he sighed.

"That's so sweet," Quil gushed and we both turned to scowl at him.

"Eat it, Ateara!" I grumbled.

The boys laughed and I watched as they scrambled back into the Suburban, leaving me alone with Paul.

Paul.

I approached him cautiously, refusing to meet his gaze. I twisted my fists in his t-shirt and tried not to cry. "I don't wanna say goodbye to you," I murmured softly into his chest.

"Then don't say goodbye," he replied, wrapping me up in his arms. "This won't be forever. We will see each other again soon."

"I won't see you tomorrow," I groaned, my forehead still pressed to his chest. I felt myself getting angrier by the moment. My body tensed and Paul must have felt it too because he raised a hand to my neck and kneaded the muscles there. He lifted his other hand to my chin, trying to lift my gaze to join his. I saw the desire in his eyes and it just made me mad.

When he leaned in to kiss me, I pushed him away. "You should go. Please be careful getting home."

I twisted away from Paul's grasp and he called out to me. "Rachel, don't do this!"