13 - Assuming

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

For weeks after I told Paul I wouldn't be able to come home for Thanksgiving, Paul avoided talking to me. He never answered my calls on Sunday. He never tried to contact me either. In the back of my mind, I knew this was what I had asked for but, it didn't mean I liked it.

Finally I resorted to bugging Jacob for details on Paul. I knew they had been hanging out a lot lately. Paul had bought himself an old Ford Bronco and he had needed Jacob's help to get it running. It made me happy to know he was spending time with my brother, even if he hated me.

"He doesn't hate you, Rachel."

"He told me to fuck off, Jake."

Jacob sighs. "You pushed him too far. He asks about you all the time. And considering that's what you're doing to me right now, then maybe you two should talk and just leave me out of it."

"If he would ever answer his phone then I would," I stated, a little louder than I meant to.

"Me and dad wanna know if you're coming home for Christmas."

"I can come home for a few days after Christmas, if I can get a ride."

This seemed to smooth things over with Jacob for a while and that alone made me feel better, until he said, "Rachel...I think Paul has been seeing somebody."

My stomach dropped. "Good for him. I want him to be happy."

"Whatever, Rachel," my little brother sighed. "I'll talk to next week then."

When he ended the call, I'm consumed with thoughts of Paul, who he's seeing, and what kind of person she might be. How can you hate someone you don't even know??

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~

Christmas day came and went and I spent the day alone. It sucked...bad. My dad called me and when I talked to Jake, of course I asked where Paul was. He informed me that Paul had left town for the holiday, but he wasn't sure where he went.

I never asked Dad about coming to get me because I would only have a few days to spend in La Push before I need to get back for my shift at the book store. Today is my last shift at the pizza parlor for the year. Then I'll have a few days to myself before my roommates get back from break.

When I walked into work, I could already tell that this would be a shit show. Instead of my regular frat boy customers, the place was filled with high school boys instead. Great. I was about halfway through my shift when I get a table of six teenagers that are making me seriously consider quitting. "Can we split an order of mozzarella cheese sticks, onion rings, and garlic breadsticks with cheese?"

I nodded absently and copied their order down in my notepad. "Anything else?"

"Pitcher of beer?"

"You're hilarious," I smirked. "How about root beer instead?"

"Oh, be nice to us, Rachel." Oh how I love when they read my name tag and called me by name. I collected their menus and scowled when I hear the front door. More customers. Yippee! We're already packed. I don't see the hostess so I began to make my way to the front of the restaurant. One of the teens grabbed me by the wrist and asked for my phone number. Dream on, junior.