21 - Breaking Down

I stood there staring at my father for I don't know how long. He had a sneer forming on his lip as he looked at me, obviously thrilled to have caught me in this compromising position. I glared at him and furrowed my brow. "I thought you were staying at Uncle Joey's until the 5th?"

Rachel peered up at me, her eyes full of questions. I never had the chance to tell her that my father had come back. I saw him a few times before Christmas. When he said he was going to stay at his brother's house over the holidays and he wanted me to go too, I opted out, called my mom and went to stay with her instead.

Things weren't any better between us during the times he stayed at the house, but at least I wasn't afraid of getting my ass beat anymore. That was the real reason I had bulked up and basically begged Manny to teach me how to box. My father had only tried to hit me once since then and he soon realized what a mistake that was. Piece of shit.

My father shrugged. "Yeah, that didn't work out too well," he finally replied. "Samantha and I weren't getting along that well."

I scoffed. "What'd you do this time?"

He shot me a look asking me to drop it. Samantha was my aunt, Joey's wife. I was surprised she had tolerated him for as long as she had. Hell, he probably hit on her.

My father sipped his scotch and eyed Rachel, who was still nestled against me. "And who do we have here?" he sleazed.

Rachel looked up at me, her long dark lashes fluttered. "Put me down, Paul," she urged gently.

I nodded slowly, hesitantly giving up my hold on her. She squeezed my bicep before turning to my father and offering him her hand. "I'm Rachel Black," she said sweetly. "It's nice to finally meet you."

Lies. I could tell the way her hand shook, she was mad or scared or both. My father gave a her a predatory smile and nodded. "I'm Jack. It's nice to meet you, too."

He inspected her hand and then her outfit and smiled wider. Fuck this. I stepped between them, sliding my hand into hers and tugging gently. "Rachel has been staying with me since she's been home." And back off, she's mine.

He finally released her and nodded. "Billy doesn't mind you sleeping over with this guy?" He gestured toward me, giving me a dirty look.

"She's 21, Jack. Her dad knows where she is."

My father nodded again. "And Billy knows how old my son is?"

Rachel smiled. "My dad really likes Paul." She paused and leaned against me. "He knows what a good guy he is."

I cheered inside for the compliment, but I could see how it was pissing him off. Good, asshole, be pissed. He lowered himself back into his chair and sneered, "Well Paul can be quite charming...when he wants to be."