27 - Screwing Up

"You took Rachel's picture, didn't you? One of the ones she sent me for my birthday? You saw it and you took it...didn't you?"

Embry just stared, which pissed me off more than lying about it. "Answer me, you fuck!" I demanded.

Embry swallowed thickly and nodded slowly. "Yeah...I took it."

"

I balled my fists up and bared my teeth. Embry's eyes opened widely in fear. When I advanced on him, he kept backing up until he was pinned against the side of my Bronco. "I want that fucking picture back, do you hear me?"

Embry nodded quickly. "Are you gonna tell her...that I took it?"

I pressed my fists together, giving him an expression that indicated I was thinking about it. "If I don't get that picture back, I'm gonna tell her. And I better have it tomorrow...do you understand me?"

"I'll have it. You'll get it back. Just don't tell her what I did."

I placed both fists on either side of his head, pressing firmly against the Bronco door. "Well that all depends on you, now doesn't it?"

"I'll bring it back," he replied defensively.

I backed off a little and scowled at him. "And what happened at your locker? Did you kiss her?"

Embry shook his head solemnly. I got some small amount of pleasure knowing he was scared shitless of me. He took in a deep breath and spoke quietly. "Rachel got all freaked out when she saw you with Leah. I was just hiding her. There wasn't anything else going on."

I crossed my arms over my chest and chuckled. "You are really something else. Playing the best friend card when all along you've been lusting after her. Did you look at all the pictures? All of them?"

Embry lowered his head and sighed. I knew that meant he had. The night of my party, I was so shit faced that I had to have help getting back to bed. I knew that someone had been in my room and the next day, I realized one of the pictures was gone. It wasn't like I could ask around because secretly I had hoped I was wrong. I had sworn to Rachel that no one would ever see them and I failed her. Honestly, I never wanted her to know that I had betrayed her trust. But I wasn't above using the threat of telling her to get him to bring the picture back.

And what pissed me off more was that I didn't leave them lying around. They were in the envelope, in the top drawer of my desk. And that meant he had gone looking for them...and he knew what he was doing.

I ran my hands through my hair and scoffed. "It's always the quiet ones you have to watch out for."

"Paul..."

"Save it," I ordered, raising my hand to stop him from speaking. "You know I have to do this, right?"

He furrowed his brow. "Do what?"