19 - Getting What You Want

"Ooohh! This is a good song! Who's gonna dance with me?" I asked, trying not to slur my words. "Paul?"

Paul held a hand up and smirked. "Don't look at me."

"Oh come on..."

"Why'd you let her drink so much?" Jacob scowled from the other side of the counter.

"I'm right here. Why do you insist on talking about me like I'm not here?"

"I let her drink as much as she wants, because I know what Rachel does when she drinks too much," Paul whispered before taking a long pull of his beer, his eyes never leaving mine.

I licked my lips and sucked in a sharp breath. The night I had too many margaritas and called Paul for phone sex started to replay in my mind. With the way he was staring, I knew that night was on his mind too. "Well I gotta find someone to dance with me..."

I glanced at Embry and noticed his attention was elsewhere. He was staring over my shoulder toward a group of girls in the far corner. I moved around to stand next to him, wedging myself between Quil and Embry. "Who are we looking at?"

"That girl he likes is here," Quil stated matter-of-factly and earning him a pop in the back of the head from Embry.

"You got a big mouth, Quil," Embry grumbled.

"Which one is she?"

Embry slid his arm around my waist and replied, "The one in the red."

"What's her name again?"

"Kristen," Quil answered quickly, now earning a dirty look from both of us.

"You should talk to her," I urged.

"No!" Embry argued, pulling his gaze away from her. "I can't do that."

I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and raised my eyebrows. "Let's go get her then."

"You're not gonna talk to her, are you?" Embry whined as I pulled him out to dance with me.

"Nope. She's gonna talk to you," I assured him.

Paul scowled at me as I passed him by. "What about me?"

"You didn't want to dance with me," I teased, letting my tongue peek out from between my teeth. "I'll be back."

When I got out where everyone was dancing and close enough to where Kristen could see and hear us, I turned to Embry and wrapped my arms around his neck. He glanced around nervously as I began to sway a little bit. I grabbed his hands and placed them on my hips, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Rachel..." he began. "Paul is gonna beat my ass if you don't stop this."

I looked over at Paul and noted that he did indeed looked pissed. I shook my head at him, silently willing him not to interrupt. "I'll deal with him later. He won't hurt you."