1 - Damaged

I glanced at the clock for the tenth time this hour and sigh.  I still had two hours until closing time. I almost wished we were busy, at least the time would go faster.

“Miss?”

“Be right there.”  I rolled my eyes and marked the page in my book.

“Can I get the check?” the old man in the corner booth asked as I approached him.

“Of course,” I responded, smiling sweetly.

He grinned up at me as I passed him the bill.  I heard the bell tinkle, signaling that someone had just entered the diner.  “You can sit anywhere you like,” I called over my shoulder. “I’ll be right back,” I told Mr. Simons.

I stopped at the counter for a fresh ice water, set of silverware and a menu.  I spied my new customer in the corner booth, his back to me. His head was down.  All I could see of him is spiky black hair and a jean jacket. I placed the water in front of him, he barely acknowledged me. I set a menu and silverware in front of him and just as he was about to look up at me, Mr. Simons approached me.

“Here ya go, honey,” he replied, shoving a twenty into the front pocket of my apron. 

“Thanks,” I replied tersely, trying to hide my irritation.

He winked at me.  Disgusting. “You keep the change, honey.”

When he reached for my shoulder, the boy in the booth jumped up, standing between us.  “Where’s the restroom?” he asked, his expression serious.

I gave him a small grateful smile.  “Right this way, sir.” As I turned and lead him through the restaurant to the small hallway where the bathrooms are, I hoped the old pervert is leaving.   “Goodnight, Mr. Simons,” I called over my shoulder.

When I heard the bell on the front door tinkle, I can finally breathe again.  I shuddered when I thought about him touching me.

“He’s gone.”

I whirled around quickly, nearly colliding with the boy who saved me.  I stared at him for a moment, finally seeing his face for the first time.  He was young...fifteen maybe? His spiky black hair matched his dark eyes. He was thin, lanky even and shorter than me, but I’m tall.

“Thank you,” I whispered.  “Thanks for helping me with...that.”

He nodded, but did not smile.  “Does...that...happen often?”

I shrugged and laughed nervously.  “Welcome to my world. Well I guess I should say the world of every halfway decent looking girl that works with the public.  Can’t say anything if you wanna keep your job, ya know?”

When I dropped my gaze and tried to move past him, he gently touched my arm.  “That sucks. I’m really sorry.”

I walked past him, nodding.  “Well you’re not responsible for the actions of every man I’ve had to deal with.”