29 - Heartbroken

Mulai dari awal

When I hesitated, he reached for my hand. I heldit in both of mine and sucked in a deep breath. How ironic that his touch was giving me the courage to break his heart.

Rachel is scaring the shit out of me. She's holding my hand but she still looks so scared. "Is everything okay?"

She swallowed thickly and shook her head. "I have to tell you something, Paul."

"Okay?"

She nibbled her lower lip nervously and all I wanted to do was kiss away her fears. I couldn't imagine anything she could say to me that change how I feel about her. I love her. I love her so fucking much it hurts.

"I kissed Embry."

I blinked quickly and shook my head. There's no way I heard that right. No fucking way.

She held my hand tighter and tilted her head. "I'm so sorry, Paul. I didn't mean to hurt you."

She lifted a hand to my cheek and I pulled away. "Paul..."

I kept scooting away from her until my back hit the wall. I did it so quickly that I hit my head too. I pulled my knees to my chin and glared at her. "When did this happen?" My voice was calm, but inside I was screaming.

She pulled the elastic band from her hair, letting her ponytail free. She slipped the band over her wrist and finally looked me in the eye. "This morning, after you left."

I balled up my fists and pounded the floor on either side of me. "Are you fucking serious?"

My voice was so loud, she jumped. She cowered away from me, dropping her gaze in the saddest way. For a split second, I cringed. I never wanted her to be afraid of me.

"Can I please explain?" she pleaded, her voice on the verge of breaking.

I scoffed. "Go ahead."

She wrung her hands for a moment and then crawled toward me. I gave her a warning look, letting her know I absolutely did not want to be fucked with. She left a suitable distance between us and sat in front of me with her legs crossed. "I was devastated when you left this morning. I saw that look in your eyes, Paul. I know how badly I hurt you...when I said I didn't want to make up."

"And we had no future and you don't wanna live with me..." I added bitterly, my head bobbing back and forth.

"That isn't true," she argued, her voice finally breaking. I shook my head when she reached for my hand.

"Just tell me what happened," I urged, even more forcefully this time.

"When you left, I called out to you and you ignored me. Then I started crying because I knew I screwed this up. I thought I heard you come back into the house, but when I looked up, it wasn't you...it was Embry."